Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for computer gurus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm having a problem with my laptop. If I have more than about 15 pictures (jpg) in a folder the computer locks up. No matter what view setting; list, detail, or thumbnail. This is true if I access the folder through explorer, mycomputer, or inside Photochop. WTF? Any ideas. I'm using Windows XP. Here's the computer specs.

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Hmm. Had that happen too. But it was a once or twice thing. Is this laptop on the internet? If it is, do you have current virus protection? Also make sure you have all the updates from microsoft. A spyware eliminator is good thing too.

3. mrk5

Yeah, I've done all that but the spyware.

I'm not sure that it has happened everytime, but it is often enough that I had to start limiting my files to 15 pictures.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This happens no matter what when you have a folder with 15+ pics? I've seen this before, but the problem boiled down to a single corrupt photo that would hose the computer when it tried to preview it, I.E. open the folder it lived in. The fix was deleting the batch of files it was in, luckily, they're never that important (no pics of a childbirth or anything).

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Try defragmenting your disk.

6. mrk5

My wife uses the computer more often than I, so I don't know for sure if it is EVERY time. But I think it is at least often.

I had the problem with the corrupted photo before.

I'm a freak about defragging. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Photochop icons next to the file name. Is there any way I can get rid of those?

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

maybe you need to turn on or off the indexing service... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I just looked at the specs it should handle alot more that 15pics /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'd call compaq or best buys and have them test the memory. Could be a bad chip, when it loads up it stalls because of an error. On download.net there should be somekind of a RAM or benchmark tester that can max the memory out and see if it has any issues.

8. mrk5

I'll check that out. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif