Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for computer people.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jackyl, Feb 12, 2002.

1. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what data structures are found in the system area of a formatted floppy disk?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Why do you ask? What do you mean by data structures in system area? Do you mean boot sector? Formatted in which OS? That sounds like a pretty deep hardware level question! Not that I can answer... Probably out of my range, but certainly made me curious...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

3. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

There was 2 questions that it asked. What type of filing syatem does windows 2000 use for floppy disks? That one I know and the second one just asks what data structures are found in the system area of a formatted floppy disk?
    Thats all that it asks.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What's asking the question? I know the first one is fat, that's really the most efficient for a floppy under any OS. But the second one is a wierd question to me. I might just say the boot sector or master boot record and leave it at that. Win2k and Win9x format floppies differently, though, Win2k always making a floppy bootable ("active" is a more accurate term), Win9x needing a special procedure to make it active.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.