Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for guys who do alot of night runs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Sep 6, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am curious about what you do for lighting while on night runs. What kind of lights do you use? How many do you use? Where do you put them? Need some ideas. Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I run rocklights, the cheap ones from Walmart. They're the small lights that come in pairs in the orange boxes. They work really well for spotting and it allows me to leave the headlights off for most of the trails. I have one in front of each tire in the front, and another in front of each tire in the back. They're wired to a switch in the cab. Makes for great repair lighting too when you don't have an extra hand for the flashlight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BIGJ

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Our club does a lot of night wheelin and I found what a lot of them do.It works great and the lights are cheap. I have a light at each corner and one on each side under the middle of the truck. I dont need headlights even! The lights can be bought at Northern Hydraulics for $9 a pair! they are 55W halogen and they have them in 3 or 4" round or the 2x6 rectangle, The rectangle is what most of us use, they have a better light pattern. the only drawback is I found I need to get a higher amp alternator now! Other than that they work great, and cheap if one blows or gets damaged. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clay
    Bushwhackers Offroad Outfitters
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Small, cheap, rectangle ones from the department store usually make good floodlights. Kmart used to have a kind (Rally maybe?) that the 35 watt ones were as good as the 55 watt ones because of the superior pattern. And 3 amps vs 5 amps is always a good deal.

For projectors, nothing works better than KC 6x9s. Rally makes those cheap 100 watt oval lights for $30 at the department stores and they're good for a mile. Either kind will make you go blind if you use them on the expressway and there is a big sign. KC's 6x9s are good for about a mile and a half. Either one you can put 130 watt bulbs in but the plastic Rally ones get REALLY hot even with 100 watt bulbs in them. I like the el-cheapos because people will steal your KCs around here.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of those KC style lights up front, but what i really like are the "cop spots" on the windsheild posts. I can aim them anywhere. Up, down, sideways. can get a look down a trail if the truck isn't pointed straight, or down a drop off i'm about to go over. I bought some from a junk yard for 40.00 each, Napa had the install kits and I put the bright KC bulbs in them.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Small, cheap, rectangle ones from the department store usually make good floodlights. Kmart used to have a kind (Rally maybe?) that the 35 watt ones were as good as the 55 watt ones because of the superior pattern. And 3 amps vs 5 amps is always a good deal.

For projectors, nothing works better than KC 6x9s. Rally makes those cheap 100 watt oval lights for $30 at the department stores and they're good for a mile. Either kind will make you go blind if you use them on the expressway and there is a big sign. KC's 6x9s are good for about a mile and a half. Either one you can put 130 watt bulbs in but the plastic Rally ones get REALLY hot even with 100 watt bulbs in them. I like the el-cheapos because people will steal your KCs around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda a hijack here but a while back I spotted a pair of those KC 6x9 lights in one of our buildings. They had belinged to the cemetery owners kid it's a long story but the cemetery owner was gonna have me mount them on the backhoe for night digging /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I talked him into giving me the KC lights and I got a pair of cheapos for the backhoe. These KC lights even have the padded covers but upon taking them off one of the lenses is busted /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Where would be a good place to get another lens?

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have two 100 watt lights on my roll bar, 15$ a peice at walmart, then 2 55 watt amber lights on my cattle gard, then my mares light on my roll bar in the middle of the two 100 watt lights for when i need help (stuck!), then my 55 watt backup light mounted on the back of my roll bar, that just about does it for lights for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of lights do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheap tractor lights, with the rubber housing, 35W max, you don't want to blind your spotter /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    How many do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some use 4, I use 6, all fused and relayed, powered right off the battery in case of night maintenance.

[ QUOTE ]
    Where do you put them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forward set are on the front bumper brace, pointing down. Middle set are on the rear wheel well pointing far forward. Rear set are on the rear forward framrail, pointing down.

Hope that gives you some more ideas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I run a decent amount at night. I run the highest wattage factory headlights I can find and have them aimed a little lower than normal (helps keep my from blinding oncoming traffic and to see RIGHT in front of me). I also have 2 Blazer brand (cheap-WalMart) chrome (I know, but Cheap!) 6" round 100 watt lights mounted behind my grill (expanded steel). I wired them with a relay (important to get max voltage to the light and not burn up switches) and tapped off of the high beam power wire to use as signal to close my relay. It works great. Hit the high beams and you get them along with the off road lights. If a car comes, you go to low beams anyway and the off road lights go off. I also run aftermarket bulbs in my factory backup lamps. An 1156 bulb is normally 26 watts, but Autozone sells a replacement made by Blazer that is the exact same bulb, but in 50 watts. I run these in all my vehicles. They are brighter than the more expensive halogen replacement bulbs. I will be adding more lights later, but I am picky about the placement to keep them from getting messed up as well as the wiring to keep them working properly.

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I dunno about georgia but I believe here in PA they tend to frown on any lights above 35w coming on while driving on a road. I remember my bro in law got pulled over and chewed out by a state cop because he forgot to put the covers back on his KC lights after a night run. They weren't on but he could have gotten a ticket just for having them uncovered.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have not done a lot of night running, but have had a lot of lights! One key for the trail running I do is to try and get the lights up high and point them downward. Reason is that if they are too low and pointed straight ahead, burms and small inclines can block any distance to your lights.

Excessive lights may look cool, but aren't usually very practical to use. I had 2 ProComp 100s and 2 130s on my roof rack for the longest time combined with 2 100s on my front bumper. I used the ones on the bumper WAY more than the ones on top. One of the big reasons was the ones on top were too far forward. The front of the lights was only a few inches behind the top of the windshield. When the lights would come on, the reflection off the hood was blinding. Especially when the hood is covered with dust from a day of trail running. In addition, having all the lights on may have looked cool, but what exactly was I trying to see that I needed 660W of lights?!?

I also had a single 100W ProComp on each side of my roof rack pointing sideways. Those were actually fairly useful in several circumstances, but they snag great on trees too!

Finally I had 2 55W driving lights on the rear. Those were mainly used as backup lights (factory backup lights don't illuminate much for me) and for loading/unloading. They were pointed fairly straight down and did a great job of illuminating the immediate rear of the rig and behind it.

Nowadays I run 4 ProComp 100s on my front bumper. 2 sit at bumper level and the other 2 are on top of the hoop, about even with the top of the grill. They are up plenty high (top ones around the 5' level), are not excessive, won't interfere with my visibility (reflections) and don't blind the guy in front of me.

Oh yeah, I run a second battery and dedicated fuse panel for my offroad lights. I also run Bosch relays for each of the lights. This keeps from having to run too much amperage through a switch and helps promote as bright a light as possible.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    This keeps from having to run too much *current* through a switch and helps promote as bright a light as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed that sentence for you.

As a question of lights, I run at night a lot. Me and my friends have been talking a lot on this issue, but we've never sucessfully found a place on the vehicle where they can be ran that they'll stay and not get bashed by trees.

I'm thinking once I get my huge bumpers and my winch up front I'll mount two cheap lights there and two on top of the bumper in the back. If they get smacked by trees I'll just replace them.

The only sucessful place me and my friends have ever put lights is behind a huge brush guard on the front and let them shine through. They don't work near as well that way but trees don't bash them either.

Ian 87SM465NP208 is going to be a little mad when he goes wheelin with me. I know one tree in particular that is going to knock those lights right off his rollbar in the bed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a pair of fog lights bolted to the frame by the gas tank to see behind, then tucked up behind my left slider I have 2 small round truckstop lights- one points at each tire. I have really bright blue headlights that I got at Autozone, they're bright enough on high that I dont need anything else. A good pair of headlights will go a long way. A ton of KC's or Hellas may look real cool, but 2 is enough if you really want that much light. One of the guys I wheel with has two PIAA's on his YJ and he doesnt need them most of the time. We put a pair of fog lights behind the grille on my freinds IFS Blazer, that worked well so I'll probably do it too. I also have one of those lights that goes on your head, its easier than holding a flashlight. Oh and clean your windsheild and other windows really good, dirty glass will cause a bad glare. Wire your dome light to a switch so you dont have to open the door to have interior light, I got a universal roll bar dome light from a Jeep catolog, it lights up the inside of my K5 like day, even with no top. We also carry spot lights that plug into the cigerette lighter.

Can you tell I wheel a lot at night? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wire your dome light to a switch so you dont have to open the door to have interior light

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, doesn't your dome light come on when you rotate your headlight switch all the way counterclockwise? Because I think damn near every vehicle I have ever driven has some way like this to turn on the dome light.

15. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

thats what I was wondering, but he does have a 71' so I dont know if they had it.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wheel a lot at night too...but I kinda know the trails I wheel on.

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

our '68 jeep had it