Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for installing clutch pedal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Feb 21, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ok Im swapping in a 465/205 in place of my 400/208 behinde my 6.2. Im going to use a mechanical clutch. I have a whole clutch/brake pedal assembly, would it be easier putting that in, or just the clutch pedal itself? Ha this looks like a pain to do. Im guessing this is by far the hardest part. Putting the tranny and t case in should only take a few hours b/c I got a lift to use. So any hints or anything of how to put that cluch pedal in?

Edit- Crap, I just remebered that the pedals that Im using are out of like a late 70's truck, is the pedal assembly going to be the same as mine 85? Man I knew this was to easy and I over looked something. After futher reading other posts, I dont know what year this truck is Im getting everything out of, its the older body stye tho, late 70's. Im using everthing off that truck tho, 465/205, bellhouing and clutch, the only thing I thought I would need different is the flywheel. I got a fly wheel off a 6.5, will this work with that old bellhousing?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you are putting a 400 in you do not need a clutch. I am assuming you are putting a 465/205 combo in:D . The clutch and brake should be on the same bracket so I would say remove the old brake pedal assy and install the clutch/brake assy.

Ira

3. brunok5

brunok5 Registered Member

Been awhile but I think I just got a longer bolt and a spacer and bolted the clutch and brake on the same bracket.

and as far as the differnet years, my setup is outta a 78 and my blazers a 84. I didnt run into any problems.

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

so you just took out the old pedel, and put the new clutch/'brake pedal in with a longer bolt?

5. brunok5

I actually cut my brake pedal in half then bolted the clutch pedal on the same braket the brake is on. This is because all I had is the the clutch pedal. Probably a better way with the whole setup.

6. brunok5

Also there is a writeup on this in the Tech pages. Go check it out there are pictures.

7. 85burb4x4

85burb4x4 Registered Member

It all should work. When I converted my 85 Burb over to an SM-465, the tranny and clutch linkage came from an 82 Blazer and the pedals and bracket were from a late 70's truck.

I put the bracket in first and then hung the pedals, figured it would be easier to do it that way because of all the wiring and stuff that was plugged in to the steering column. I also had to modify the tab for the brake light switch. Can't remember if the switch or the metal tab was slightly different, but one of them had to be modified a little bit so my brake lights would work.

I also ran in to a problem with my starter. They are different for a manual and automatic. The case around the pinion gear of the starter is different and the pinion gear on the starter for a manual tranny actually moves out a little farther too.

I'm not 100% sure about the flywheel. There was a discussion on dieselplace.com and if I remember right certain flywheels from the 6.5 are the same as the 6.2L but the dual mass (or something like that) will not work.

8. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah I saw that writeup. i was reading something on a different forum that said that clutch/brake pedal assemblys from non hyrdo boost trucks are different than hyrdo boost trucks. Ha yeah I think im going to just try and use the clutch pedal and put it in mine like you did and that writeup did.

9. 85burb4x4

I didn't see anything really different other than the metal tab that activates the brake light switch. The pedal assembly for a hydraulic clutch is different that one for a mechanical clutch. I wonder if that might be what they are taling about. I'll find out soon enough, in a few weeks I will be converting my burb over to a hydraulic clutch.

Acutally, now that I think about it there was a difference in the bracket the pedals hang from. It was how it bolted to the firewall. If you remove your stock pedal bracket and compare it with the clutch pedal bracket you will see the difference. If I remember right I had to grind off 2 of the studs and drill a hole where they were.

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

ha wait, is that true even for diesels? man i just bought a new starter

11. 85burb4x4

My Burb is a diesel....sorry forgot to mention that. Not sure for the gassers. I know on the 67-72 trucks the starters are different..they bolt up differently.

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

so if gm never offered a manual in the 6.2, what do i need? a starter from a 6.5 manual? does anyone know if its alright if i use the clutch and pressure plate from a gas engine on the 6.2?

13. 85burb4x4

From what I've read, diesel trucks were only offered with a manual and not in Suburbans.

I think the starters are the same for the 6.2's and 6.5's, I just found a difference with one from a manual and one from an auto.

I think you will be ok using a clutch and pressure plate from a gasser if it is in good shape. From what I've seen the gas clutches are 10 or 11 inches and the one I got for my diesel is a 12" clutch. I thought about doing that too because my clutch is messed up right now, but the 2 clutches I have in my shop are junk..