Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for members of the diesel page

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Shannon, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Shannon

Shannon Registered Member

I've been thinking about getting an early 90's style suburban to replace the wife's 86' model. Now I get to build another hunting rig!! Really like the diesel in that thing but all I can find for later subs in my limited price range are gas rigs. Looks like the diesel page has an article on swapping a diesel in for gas. Is this article for dropping in a 6.2 or 6.5? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Should work for both, the only difference is the later 6.5 is more electronically controled, the earlier 6.5 are same as 6.2

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Swapping in a 6.2L or 6.5L n/a is the same....they're practically identical. A turboed 6.5L is a little different.

I've converted to diesel three different times, and I would suggest that if you can, try and find a diesel-powerd sub. If it's totally impossible, then get a sub that you like, then buy a cheap diesel truck to get all the parts off of and swap it over. Then sell what's left.

IIRC, the 6.5L wasn't offered in a 'burb until '94. I think that between 92-94, there was no diesel sub available. Just like there's no diesel 'burb available right now. I think '91 was the last diesl sub with a 6.2L.

Casey

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

There are 3 late model diesel suburbans for sale in the diesel page classifieds:

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/classad.htm

There's a 94, a 95, and a 96. Don't know if they're in you're price range or not.

Casey