Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for military / aviation guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Mar 10, 2007.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

So we had a minor panic here last week.. in the skies over cleveland, we saw a huge amount of contrails ( chemtrails?), leaving large X's across the sky..

It looked like they were weaving a basket up there, there were so many..

they sure didn't look like passenger jets up there, and the director of hopkins airport said on the radio that " military jets fuel there all the time", and that what everyone was seeing was a weather phenomenon.. which is interesting because the last time we saw this much activity was a hot day in august, 2 years ago..

a local ham operator called into the same show, and talked about a "sky king" message going out on the military channels ( non classified, of course), and that supposedly was a call to scramble or something.. he played over the air some live feed from his ham radio, and the operator was sending out some call signs and identified an air force base by name, which I think was wright patterson..

someone else called in and said that no flights went into or out of hopkins airport all afternoon.. ( this was wed.) the airport folks denied that..

People from the sandusky area to near erie alll reported the same sightings..

can anyone shed some light on what was going on? is this a typical drill or something?

I already own a tinfoil hat, so I'm not gonna get a new one..:D

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

could you hear the jets?
    if it was a military exercise, you could have heard the jets

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

No.. I could see them, but not hear.. they were up pretty high.. looked like little darts..

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

They've come back for me!!!!!!!!!!

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I wonder what it waspad?

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Aren't you mister "one shot, one kill"?

I thought you might know something about the question at hand..

oh well, that's what I get for assuming.. you must not be the knowledgable current or ex military guy I was thinking of..

maybe jagged knows... or bigjbear..

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

know what happens when you assume... lol

btt, wondering myself what went on...

8. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

If it was over an unclassified channel on the CB, then it's just training.

9. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if they came out of patterson then it was surely just training. The X's may very well have been them doing some air combat manuevering. Enjoy the show! Not to often you get to see those very expensive weapons actually show off like that.

10. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

11. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

The Chairforce uses non encrypted comms for training? :confused:

12. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm not sure about what was going on. Probably just some manuevers or something. Can't talk too much about stuff.
    But I can tell you about the wisps of white you see in the sky. They are called contrails (condesation trails) and are formed when an aircraft leaves the ground with water in it/ on it, usually in the form of humidity, and goes up into the atmosphere where the water freezes and can either chunk off like in the case of ice or evaporate out of the air frame. If you've ever looked out of the window of an air plane and seen all of the ice on the wings, people on the ground can probably see the plane's trails.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A couple days ago at work there was a guy who came in and said "they" are spraying chemtrails above us. I asked what a chemtrail was and he tells me about some crazy government conspiracy and mind control and weather disruptions. I was thinking that this dude was smokin crack! I went outside and sure enough... planes flying in every direction with trails of "smoke" behind them!

Today I am sick and crabby, my girl is sick, and some people at her work went home sick and another walked off the job and most people that I have dealt with have been different than normal - just the kind of things that would happen after exposure to a chemtrail according to an article I read.

Can anyone comment on the validity of chemtrails?

[tin foil hat on until further notice]

14. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I could tell you,,but then I'd have to kill you...:haha: :haha:

these same "chemtrails" were all over the sky in Houston last year,,
    The voices in my head are much louder now...:eek1:
    HEY,, where's MY tinfiol hat ????

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Back to the original question.

"Skyking" is a common mil call sign. If you spend much time listening to an HF radio you will hear it often. I'd bet it has a meaning, but I don't know it. The other one you will hear all the time is "Mainsail". I've had people try to tell me that was some secret code as well. Guess what, it is! Its the code for an HF radio check:haha:

Try listening to 11.175 or 8.993, don't worry both the mil & commercial use those freqs, nothing classified about them. Just don't talk unless you are licensed.

As far as what took off and landed at CLE last week I can't help you- I no longer have access to PIDS. If you ask me with in a day I could give you a little info, but its the same thing you could find yourself with a little more work than it takes me:D

Crossing contrails are in the sky around here all the time, but we have a LOT of air traffic here; busiest airport in the US + a couple small airports + 2 mil airports. Cleveland/Akron has 4 I can think of off the top of my head: CLE, CAK, Burk, & W/P AFB.

Chemtrails...are you guys listening to Art Bell again?

16. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I got nuthin here either. But, her is just a fighter base

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, Cleveland Center is the busiest ARTCC (Air Route Traffic Control Center, usually shortened to "Center") in the US. Lots of traffic in that area...

Weather phenomenon is a good explanation for the contrails - the weather conditions at the surface have nearly nothing to do with whether aircraft will leave contrails at altitude....

"Skyking" is a headquarters callsign that the Air Force uses on HF radio networks. I'll let you figure out what headquarters. It's certainly nothing classified, but I'm still not gonna "say it out loud".

Yep. Secure voice is not used for training by ANY of the Armed Forces unless authorized by higher headquarters.

18. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sure and the crystal Mountain is listening [​IMG] to you while looking glass watches. [​IMG] Wait till the big event in 2011!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting up, everyone..

so, if contrails are a weather - related deal, how come we see them in the winter and the summer both, and what's up with them being in an X pattern..

that's what I reallly wanted to know..if it was strictly weather related, wouldn't they be just random streaks across the sky, going on as far as the eye could see?

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The temperature at altitude is a consistent -70*F, colder than even a Cleveland winter. The aircraft skin is warmed by the friction of the air passing by. All that is needed is a little moisture for a contrail. It doesn't even need to be a huge amount like a cloud. Surface conditions can add to to, but not eliminate, the phenomenon.

The "X" would be from more than one plane. Weather (get it, :doah: ) or not they were landing they are flying around at 37,000' and just under 500 knts (~560 mph), so you might have missed them:D