Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for motor gurus

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rebel88, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I got a buddy with an LB9 TPI out of a camaro. Its a 305 but its got the complete TPI setup with it and the computer. He wants 500 bucks for it.

Here comes the question...can I scavenge the TPI off of it and put it on my 88? Will it be a matter of changing a chip or the whole ECM or what?

Lastly is 500 bucks a decent deal for a complete TPI 305?

thanks guys

Later

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I do not think that is to bad a price, and yes you can make it work.

The list of modifications needed to it depend on the motor you want to swap it on to....

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

its going on the 88 TBI 350

Later

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

500 bucks for a complete, running 305? with TPI?
    sounds like a pretty good deal, you could pull the Tuned Port stuff off, and resell the motor for half that..

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

thats what I was wondering about being able to sell it after I pull the intake and all that crap off it

Later

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck selling a 305. You'll have to find the right buyer and forum.

What year is the Camaro motor? As long as the center bolts line up, you can keep your stock TBI heads there, and bolt the TPI base up no problem.

Does he have the whole car, or just the motor? If the TPI isn't complete, $500 is a waste of your money. You will spend half that again buying any missing pieces. If he has the car, it would be best to have it parked next to your truck (partially kidding) as you take parts off of it. You'll need the wiring harness(es), you could use the fuel pump, probably some of the fuel lines, and so on.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

They only ran this motor in 85 and 86...maybe 87. No the motor is out of the car already but it is complete as far as ECM, wiring harness and all that. Why couldnt I use my regular fuel pump ive been using with my TBI i have now?

Yeah if i cant sell it oh well...i can probably talk him down a bit or make a package deal since hes selling a 72 K5 i want too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks alot guys...

Later

8. dyeager535

TPI needs the higher pressure pump.

Does he have the ALDL wiring from under the dash? That would be a serious pain to pull lol. Any cut wires and plugs with no end on them, need to be figured out before you spend money on it.

Trying to think of anything else you need, but the earlier setups use almost totally seperate wiring harnesses. Almost nothing needed from the fuse panel on the early ones.

If the intake bolt pattern matches the "old style" (all bolts angled) then aftermarket head choices are going to be huge. If it's the "newer" style with the two vertical center bolts, it will bolt up to your existing heads.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

LB9 began in 85 http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/techdb.shtml

even if its 87-up you can still bolt either heads or intake to it, you can hnog the holes in the intake, they just changed the angle of them, thats all, many ppl have done this to theirs. i see TPI intakes setups go for almost 500 alone, so id say 500 for entire thing evne if its a 305 isnt bad currently, youll need an LB9 pump for the 88 truck sending unit

good luck

10. dyeager535

There are both bolt pattern intakes for TPI, so getting the right one in the first place (especially for the later heads) is easy enough.

$500 for a COMPLETE TPI setup is decent. Anything less is a good deal. You can buy them all day long for $500, but I won't guarantee that all will be in the same shape.

305/350 difference doesn't mean much, the induction is identical (TPI was designed around the 305, thats one of the reasons it starts to wheeze so early) but I'd bet the PROM is different, and I know the ESC module is as well. Can't recall what the ESC goes for.

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah i figured it was a good deal, especially if i can get if for a bit cheaper than that.

the camaro it came out of was a totally disassembled car which makes me think he did get everything off of it...but ill check it out again

thanks again guys

Later