Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for parents...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Apr 10, 2007.

?

12 year old vegitarian?

1. If the kid wants to eat veggies let her...

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. It's just a phase, she'll be begging for a cheese burger in a week

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Everyone needs to eat dead things...

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. Her auntie might be nekkid

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Do you think a 12 year old is old enough to decide whether or not they want to be a vegitarian? No rude comments please, this is my niece we are talking about.

She told my SIL that she didn't want to eat animals and my SIL told her that she was too young to make that decision. I think if the kid doesn't want to eat animals, then she shouldn't be forced...

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I'm not a parent, but I was 12 at one time.

No, I don't think a person at the age of 12 is old enough to understand and maintain the proper nutrition needed after you cut meat out of your diet. I think it's a kid being a kid and nothing more.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think she is too young to make the decision since she is not providing the food. When she is old enough to work and earn her own money, she should be able to buy anything she wants. For now it is up to the mother to buy the food and be responsible for the kid eating a balanced diet. The mothers budget may or may not be a large factor in what they eat too.

If the kid doesn't eat the meat how can she have any pudding?

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A few thoughts to kick around:
    I haven't really researched the veggie thing, but I wonder if a developing 12 year old should really be doing that for her health wellbeing. I know you can get other sources of protein, and such, but without getting her into suplemental pills, can she get everything she should have nutrient wise?

A

5. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

If she understands the correct way to eat nothing but veggies, go for it. But I don't see a 12 year old studying to find out how to replace the important vitamins and minerals that they would be losing by not eating meat.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My daughter just turned 13, and she really isn't at a point to where she is making those kinds of decisions. Her decision making skills are in limbo right now, with the rest of her brain. :wink1: To me, I wouldn't make her eat meat, but I also wouldn't provide anything else than I already do. There are always plenty of fruits and vegatables in the house, but don't tell me your hungry when you eat a salad and I just finished a steak and mashed taters.

John

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If she doesn't want to eat meat that's fine.. Let her graze in the front yard. :D

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about it. She's queasy about the animal thing. She'll either get over it or she'll be stay a vegan. Either way, as long as she has sufficient protein in her diet, which she could get from milk, cheese and eggs (hopefully she'll eat that stuff) she'll be fine. Otherwise, nuts can serve as a decent protein source.

There are so many other critical battles parents and teens could have, I don't think I'd pick this one to draw a line in the sand. Let her have her convictions.

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I can see the point of getting well balanced meals, however, I doubt my SIL cooks more than once or twice a week as it is... maybe she could start ordering the pizzas with half cheese?:D

I am not suggesting that my SIL or bro go out of their way to accommodate this type of eating, but I don't see the harm in letting her try it if eating animals disagrees with her. It's not like there won't be meat in the house if she changes her mind:rolleyes:

10. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's exactly what I was gonna say as I scrolled thorugh the posts. Has your niece taken a health class or some sort in school? I remember taking one in the 6th grade and they explain the effects of malnutrition (sp?) and how it effects the body performing cardiovascular activities. Yet alone the fact she does need the calories for the body to burn. I can't remember if red meat has the highest concentration of calories or it might be another kind of food. But anyway, find out if she's in a class for this sort of stuff. It might help her some.

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My guess is none of us are getting enough nutrients from food alone, kids or adults.

12. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I think if they are mature enough to bring to me an argument of why they want to cut meat out of their diet and bring a plan of attack as to how they are going to get the proper nourishment, then I'd let my kid try it.

13. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

You dont win friends with salad ... HEY!

what its catchy

14. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

She is still growing up and needs the vital protien and other vitamins that chicken, pork and beef offer. Need to find a way to sneak the meat into her meals.

My kids don't get a choice about if they eat meat or not. They eat it and they can decide later in life if they want to be a veggie.

15. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't ask me, I can't even pick out a fishing pole for my kid.

16. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

lol i just replied to you!!!

17. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

My niece tried this for a little bit. First time they went out to Mc Donalds, she broke down and got a cheeseburger (which probably isnt cheating really).

I say let her try it. As long as the rest of the family doesnt change to support it, she will probably give up on it.

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At 12, she will last about a week and then its on to the next "thing", whatever that is...

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

I'd let her try it if it's clear she's really done the legwork on how to replace the meat. My brother went through the same phase when he was around 18, but he did it as a result of working at McDonalds. He got over it and has turkey with the family at thanksgiving now.

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Working at McD's would cure me too.