Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for Stephen on Suspension

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RockBurb, Apr 16, 2002.

1. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 K5 theat im building from the frame up. I want to run 37's, and it will be used exclusively for rocks. I already have a 14 bolt with 4.56 and a detroit, and a 10 bolt with an ARB and 4.56 as well. I am looking for a suspension setup for it. I have a winch in the front as well. I need something super flexy (if its not really drivable on road much, its no big deal it will be trailered most of the time), and something thats relatively easy to install. What would you suggest I do? Would you go with a 4 inch lift, or a 6 inch lift? Any other suggestions?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3. CK5

Oh yeah, all of this stuff can be purchased from ORD, Stephen, please make commission chack out to Performance Media Group. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

Stephen will be getting a big order from me in a month and a half or so. Front springs, shackle flip, front shackles, greasable bushings, body lift, rancho 9012's if he can get them, and probably more that I havent thought of yet. Just want to know what front springs to get. Im worried about sag with the winch, and dont know if I should go 4 or 6, I have a pair of 2.5 rears.

5. CK5

You might want to call Stephen and ask about custom springs in the 5" range, I think he may sell them now.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Best way to go for flex and durability is a set of customs, or in our case semi-customs. I say semi custom since we work on so many GM's that are similar and use similar springs. It's not like they're all radically different.
    I'll take into account your weight, desired height and what you want to use it for and give you my best guess for your application, which usually works out pretty well.
    Give me a call when you're ready.

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Doh! Why couldn't this post have come up a week and a half ago! I just installed new lift springs in the front of my big block K30. How do my new springs (4in Tuff Country HD's) compare to these "semi-custom" springs for my application? And my my application I mean just about everything, sand, mud, trails, nice ride, durability? Flex isn't #1 right now (my steering probably wouldn't like massive flex) but it is a definite bonus, and will be welcomed when I put the crossover on this summer....

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The TCI's are still pretty good springs all things considered. Customs are going to have more vertical travel, probably 3-4" more (just a educated guess), easier articulation and more articulation and better ride over rough terrain since they would be a bit softer rate and have more available bump travel. Oh yeah, they cost more than twice as much.
    See why I say all things considered? I typically recommend looking at customs when you have most of the other bases covered, like gearing, lockers, winch, etc. If you don't have the money to do springs twice several years apart, you might look at doing customs right off the bat but really they're best for guys that are already mostly set up.
    I think you'll be happy with the TCI's long enough to keep working on the truck and maybe get into some of ours in a couple years.