Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the Colorado locals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rebelk5frk, Feb 24, 2003.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Who knows anything about the San Luis Valley area(Alamosa)?

I just got a call from Columbine Telecom about a possible job opportunity. (keeping fingers crossed) I've been trying to get to CO forever so this could be a dream come true.

I would like any and all info you guys can give me... I found a little about the area online like the weather and population etc. How close are any ORV areas etc.

2. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I am right there on the other side of the pass in durango. THere are some cool places to wheel in fact there is an artical on here about it somewhere this one

and moab is only 4 or 5 hours away too. \

population is small but i dont know how, but denver is about 4 or 5 hours in the other direction.

3. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

Small town and nothing close by...quiet and laid back. About 3 hours south of Denver ---- 4,5 hours to MOAB. The mountain views are wonderful. As far as off highway fun, you've got several trails right there, Travis Trail and Blanca Peak are some of the tougher ones that the Colorado group go to. Several folks have died at Blanca Peak but you can't the rush of getting to the top. Not to mention it's close to Farmington, NM. We sometimes stay in Alamosa and will make the 45 min trip to Farmington. If you like small towns go for it. You can always plan to wheel with us in Denver one weekend!

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My wife is originally from just outside of Alamosa. I guess you could take it as a stepping stone. It's is kinda small compared to alot of places, but that is all relevant depending on where you are coming form. They do have a good college (Adams State) there. ANyway, best of luck!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Lots of outdoor activities in the area. The sand dunes, Mount blanca. I have heard some negative things about the schools in the area. But its been a few years since the wife was there. Adams state is a good college.

Very cold winters. Check the temperature on the internet. it and Gunnison are ussually the coldest areas in the state.

I would suggest a visit before deciding if possible.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I lived in Colorado for a while and one thing that will get you is the altitude and the dryer/thin air if you not used to it. It really gave me problems.

7. rebelk5frk

I knew I had heard of the town Alamosa somewhere but couldn't place it... It must have been from that trail report I read a long time ago.

Thanks for the insight guys. The weather is close to what I had to deal with when I was stationed at Ft Drum NY. It sounds like it doesn't get quite as cold as upstate ny did though. They also get about 1/4 the amount of snow so I think I can deal with it.

I don't mind small towns that much although I'd rather live a little closer to a large town than where Alamosa is. My parents moved to an area in TX when I was almost out of school that seems to resemble the population size of the area so I know about small town life. My wife is getting pretty excited by the chance because she always wanted to end up in a small town.

Hopefully I'll be coming up there soon and get to enjoy wheeling MOAB next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds like it doesn't get quite as cold as upstate ny did though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am originally from upstate NY & now live in Colorado Springs. I would say upstate NY get a little more snow, but Alamosa get colder. Anyway, just my opinion. If you are like me, sometimes all you need is a change of location. I'd say come check it out & see. Maybe the company will fly you up for an interview or something.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rebelk5frk

It'd be nice to get a free trip to check things out but most likely will just be a phone interview. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All the weather data I could find shows the weather in alamosa to be close to what I delt with in NY. It's hard to beat the -40F plus windchill I worked in a few times in NY though. The less snow will be the winning point to the weather. I can deal with cold as long as I'm not stuck in forever but I hated shoveling the sidewalks etc after 4+ foot storms every few days. Nothing like cleaning off the driveway just to have it covered to the point you couldn't tell it was done before you even finished just to be able to go to work. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Do you speak and understand Spanish fluently?

11. rebelk5frk

? No ?!?!

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

No, but thanks for asking John.

13. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

hey burblover, what part of ny are you from? i also am originally from upstate ny and now live in co.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Mark,
    Watch out, Mudnutt moved from NY to Trinidad for a reason! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

John, Thanks for the warning!!!

Mudnutt, I'm originally from Virgil, a small town near Cortland. Cortland is about halfway between Syracuse & Binghamton. That shoud get you in the ballpark.