Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the computer geeks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joez, Nov 2, 2006.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Alright, let me preface this by saying that i suck at the computer. On one of our last wheeling trips, one of the guys with us rode shotgun with me and fillmed the day of wheeling. He made a 2 hour DVD of the day, and got some pretty cool footage that i would like to pull off the DVD. Thing is, i can't find a way to cut the clips out of the movie, anybody know of a program that i can use to edit a DVD and pull clips out of it?

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Divx will let you pull the stuff off of DVD format and convert it into mpeg. From there I imagine that Windows Movie Maker, or whatever it's called, could take care of the rest.

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

this is actually a much harder process then you may realise.

Basicly you have to first convert the DVD into some sort of useable format. What format you choose will depend on what codec you want the files to use (or how you want to edit the video after that).

Generally DivX or Xvid work well for this sort of thing. Which you can get by installing the k-lite mega codec pack (which will give you pretty much every codec you could ever need).

so what you need to do is convert your DVD to xvid, read up on howto do this @ doom9.org. (this is probably going to be the hardest part).

Then you will need to use something like videomach, or windows movie maker, or adobe premiere to "clip" out what you need. This will be a long process of changing the start and end times on the whole video to form the clip and re-rendering it. then starting over with the whole thing for another clip.

Honestly, you'd be much better to ask ur buddy who made the DVD if he still has the origional clips.

You could also do this with a program called fraps (google it).
    Though I've never tried this idea, so i don't know how well it would turnout. Basicly fraps lets you record what your monitor shows into video files. So you would start fraps, then play the video on fullscreen mode, and start fraps recording at the start of your clip. (this would be pretty simple to do, but like I said I have no idea how well it would turnout :dunno:)

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what he said! I second the getting a hold of your buddy that orignally made the dvd. He most likely has every clip still on his pc. Either that or get a hold of the camera and recapture the clips. If you have a digital camera, not HI8 or anything anolog, when you capture, it should split it into seperate clips.

5. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would run a connection from the dvd player into a video camera and record what you want onto it. Then capture from the video camera to the computer using windows movie maker i imagine. If nothing else, pm me and if you feel like sending it to me, I can get it done for you.:waytogo:

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I shot him an email, hopefully he can just send me the clips.