Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the computer literate among us

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Aug 16, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi All!
    My computer doesn't want to boot up anymore. when I turn it on, I get an error message that states : 3com PXE version (blah blah blah), and the next line reads : PXE -E61 media test failure - check cable, PXE MOF: exiting PXE.

After a few moments, the message repeats. What the heck cable is it talking about, and what is a PXE?

I'm running windows 2000 on a machine I picked up at an auction, which was used commercially and connected to a network at one time.. could a network card or device be causing the prob? Thanks for any ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sorry bud, no help here . I'm severely mouse impaired. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may have a dead hard drive. The message you are getting is indicating that it is trying to boot from the computers Network Interface Card (NIC) because it cannot find the hard drive, which happens when a hard drive dies.

When a computer cannot find an operating system to boot from, such as on the hard drive or a boot floppy in the "A" drive, then it will try to boot from the NIC card, if it is PXE boot compatible, which most are these days.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It does sound like it's trying to boot from a network. What you need to do is make it try to boot from the hard drive. What you need to do is get into the CMOS when the system first turns on and look for a setting that says 'boot device'. Simply change the setting to hard drive. In order to get into the CMOS when, when it first turns on hit one of these keys ESC, F1, F2, DEL. One of those should get you into the CMOS depending on what motherboard you have. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses.. I'll give 'em a try and let ya know what happens.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif