Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the Dually Guys...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

A couple of the clearance lights have burnt out on my tail gate. Upon inspection, I've found that the whole harness could stand to be replaced. Question is, how do you get to it? Each light has a few inches of plug that connects to the main harness. Do I just fish it with a coat hanger or safety wire?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I tried fishing wires through a tail gate before, and it did not work. There is some type of tight spot in there (lower left side), which won't allow it (or makes it extremly difficult). After thinking about it for a while the only solution I could come up with was to drill out the spot welds, which holds the tail gate face plate on to remove it. After the wiring was done then the tail gate face plate could be screwed back down with sheet metal screws (or riveted back on). Maybe you could use a small hole saw to drill a hole in the lower left side, which would allow you to fish a wire past that tight spot. Luckily, the tail gate wiring on all of my 1 tons, I have and had in the past, was good enough that I did not have to replace it.