Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for the garage nuts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by asterix, Dec 20, 2004.

1. asterix

asterix Registered Member

I just got a new transmission and xfercase. i want to clean off the grime and oil off the outside. Do you guys use a big tub or what do you place it in to jeep all the junk from flowing into the sewer. was thinging of getting a parts cleaner but i do not think they are strong enough to support a tranny.

Any thoughts??

Brett

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'v ealways taken it to the local car wash, placed it on the floor. Then sprayed it with 1-2 cans og GUNK and hosed her down. May not be the most environmentally friendly method, but it has worked for me. However, the last time the guy working at the car wash yelled at me. I was almost done and he told me to never come back. I said I wouldn't (when he was there) :D

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

doing the right thing

you can use simple green... its easier on everything than kerosene (engine degeaser/gunk) and is bio-degradeable

the right kind of car wash will have an oil separator just for what you want to do... barring all that you can wash it outside and spead a bunch of kitty litter (which is dg) that will absorb the grease... you can pack it up and landfill it... you can burn it...
    but theres no way to get rid of pollution... just transform it...hopefully into something less damaging to the environment....
    above all you dont want to flush to a storm drain... thats a straight trip to the water....

My 30 gallon parts cleaner( carolina brand) will hold a tranny or transfer case without damage to it...it also has a catcher for big chunks of crap and dirt and a stopper to fill the basin (about 5 gallons or so) I cant throw something heavy in there but I can place it in carefully without any wear or damage... its probably 14 ga steel and i use a grate on the basin bottom for heavy stuff
    I use 5 gallons of JET A fuel as the deagreaser mixed with 20 gallons of water... I line the tank with a plastic bag... the jet a and water dont mix.. the grease is heavier then both the liquids and falls to the bottom... I can strain the jet a out/ flush the water and am then left with a plastic bag with grease for correct solid wate disposal... Ive only had to do it once in ten years( I am careful to scrape the crud off first)... the added bonus is that the jet a leaves a slight residue on bare metal so it doesnt rust... it doesnt clean as easily as noxious solvents but its way better than the water based citrus crap they try to sell for parts washers... and cheaper too

commendable post... I appreciate you trying to do the right thing

cam
    ( I use my steam cleaner on the slab and do the kitty litter number... I scrape the really heavy crud off first)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I just cleaned off an axle I am getting ready to install. Placed it up off the ground on jack stands, applied liberal amounts of kitty litter underneath (doing this under my carport), and soaked it with brake cleaner and let it dry. Went after it with a wire wheel, and when all the crud was knocked off, soaked it again with brake cleaner, let it dry, and wiped it down. Then painted it. The kitty litter caught all the liquids, then I bagged the kitty litter, and tossed it in the trash.

John

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

So what do you do ? Drive down to your local international airport with a five gallon gas can and tell the fuel truck to filler up with Jet A :laugh:

Dan...

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hahahaha if you need some JP5 i could get you all you wanted and more,

FREBIE:xmas:

7. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

car wash

just take it to the local car wash when the owner is not around and squirt it down with gunk and presure wash it down. At those car washes all the run off going into the sewer system not the storm drains, but it would be a good idea to do it late at night, I'm sure it would tick off the owner.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yep.. showed up at JET services at redding airport and bought it right at the pump...

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

car wash works great put it on high and hot, also kerosene will cut all the junk of fit real quick, with a nylon brush and a green scubber pad, will be clean in about 5 minute, then rinse and dry and paint, all done

plug all holes and dont go crazy around the case vent hole on the top of the case!

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

depending on if it's painted or not and if you care about the enviroment oven cleaner works well too.....................:smirk: :whistle:

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

probablly wouldnt work for you but when I had my T-Case out i just took it to my farm we have a hot-water powerwasher. I just spread the stuff out real light on the grass. not enough there to do any real damage. Cant be as bad as all the chemicals sprayed on the ground every year, lol