Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the sages of the K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fbronson, Apr 22, 2004.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the spec's page and noticed that when the K5 was introduced in 1969, it weighed a scant 2900 some pounds. 20 years later, the K5 seems to have filled out a little and tipped the scales at an astounding 4878 pounds! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif From what I can tell, there were really only three major changes. 1: No more full fiberglass top, now the K5 has a steel half-cab. (Adds weight). 2: Standard for the '89 model is chevy's famous 350 V8 vs the standard 250 c.i. I6 in '69. (Also adds weight). 3: Now here is the kicker, in '69 the K5 came with a GM 12bolt in the rear and a Dana 44 in the front. In '89, out go the heavy 3/4 ton axles, and in go the lighter GM 10bolt 1/2 ton axles, front and rear. So where do all those extra 1900 pounds come from? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If anybody knows, I'd be really curious to find out.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

First, 12 bolts and D44's are 1/2 ton's not 3/4 ton's and they weigh roughly the same. Second, there's more crap in the late models. Like PW, PL, big auto tranny, A/C, etc....

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The specs are for a bone stock K5, with full soft top and 6 popper no carpet etc.. Not many were that light.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Plus some '69 models came with just a driver seat and no other interior items

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The specs are for a bone stock K5, with full soft top and 6 popper no carpet etc.. Not many were that light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, base level in '69 was NO top, and only the drivers bucket seat. All other seats and the top were options. Base level in '69 also came with a very light 3 speed tranny and a light (in comparison to the 205) Dana 20 transfer case.