Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the shackle-flippers.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, May 7, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

With my shackles flipped, and some 4" Rancho springs in the front, the driveability of my K5 has plummetted.
    This thing handles like a mound of hot, wet, overcooked macaroni noodles. I am guessing that it is because I stiffend the front, considerably, and softened the back with the shackle flip. Are there any ways to get this thing driveable, again? I am pretty sure that my caster is off, as it tends to wander, and I have some 3* shims on order to fix that...
    But, the thing bounces like crazy, and it is really tough to keep it on the road, if the road isn't perfectly smooth.
    Are their any cheap fixes for this handling problem?
    I'm quite new to this lifting stuff, so, please bear with me...

Thanks for the help...

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Stiffer shocks? How's the swaybar configured ?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would be willing to bet that most of your problem is from the stiff front spring. Think about swapping them out for some Tuff Country or BDS.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

First off, most lift springs will stiffen up the ride, my Rough Country spring real were as stiff as hell until i removed one of the front shock fro the quad setup, How many shocks do you have up front?
    You didn't really soften the rear, you are basically the same because you used the stocks.
    How long have you had them installed, i noticed mine got alittle softer after about a month or so of use.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run a Echobit shackle flip on non-sagging rear springs, 4 inch ProComp front springs, rear 4 inch lift ES300 shocks mounted up front , and Gabriel shocks from Autozone in the rear. I did not need to shim the front end , and caster angle was fine. The front springs should of only lifted the truck , not change caster enough to notice. If anything is worn out , the lift will, make it feel worse. Check your ball joints and all rod ends. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

As for the ride, without sounding mean, its a truck. I have driven stock, and lifted , as well as rode in trucks with soft springs, they were still bouncy a bit, especially over freeway expansion joints. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Swaybar is the stock setup. I had to readjust the mounts on the frame for it, to compensate for the lift, of course.
    Also, I am only running 2 shocks up front, one on each side.
    Z3PR: The problem is really that I don't have money for a new lift.

I bought the lift used, and the guy I bought it from found shims under the springs. The guy at the local parts counter told me that some Rancho lifts come with shims, to correct the caster. I figured that the shims that came off the lift originally were from the kit. They were so chewed up, though, that I couldn't use them.
    The ball joints and rod ends were all replaced about a year and a half ago, so I don't think it is them.

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the ride, without sounding mean, its a truck. I have driven stock, and lifted , as well as rode in trucks with soft springs, they were still bouncy a bit, especially over freeway expansion joints

[/ QUOTE ]
    I do understand that. This, in my opinion, is excessive. I almost lost control of the truck last night, when I was in a 55mph zone because I hit a strip of road that was repaired. The back felt like it was drifting, and the front just came down really hard. On the same road, I almost lost it, and came really close to hitting a brige guardrail because the lead-up to the bridge was not perfectly smooth. To get anywhere around here, there are only 55mph zones, and, honestly, I do not feel safe in this truck, anymore.
    I don't speed, and, in fact, was anticipating those two spots, and had actually slowed down a bit for them.

7. pauly383

You could try a couple things , replace the steering stabilizer , which really just masks other problems , new relacement rear springs, if yours are sagging or old ( see LMC truck ) , as well as stiffer shocks all around. Some spring clamps to tighten the rear may help, and be removed for off road use. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

May want to check the steering then

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Stiffer shocks will only make it worse, i'm assuminig that is if your referring to a harsh bouncy ride and not so much as a loose/soft bouncy ride? i went through this when i first got mine installed, but it seemed to smooth out after awhile, i am thinkin you got the HD or standard lift sorings and not the easy rides, if this is the case, you need new softer springs, not much else to say about it.

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Stiffer shocks will only make it worse, i'm assuminig that is if your referring to a harsh bouncy ride and not so much as a loose/soft bouncy ride?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is a harsh, boucy ride in the front, but it feels loose. The back just tends to be loose, and I figure that is from the stock springs. I'm kinda hopeful that they will loosen themselves up, but, with the front springs being used, I don't count on it.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought the lift used, and the guy I bought it from found shims under the springs. The guy at the local parts counter told me that some Rancho lifts come with shims, to correct the caster.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the shim is a little wedge between the spring and spring pad it is not for correcting caster, it's for correcting pinion angle.

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If the shim is a little wedge between the spring and spring pad it is not for correcting caster, it's for correcting pinion angle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't that also change the caster angle?

13. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't that also change the caster angle?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you cut and rotated the center section, it sure would change your caster angle . Yu want your knuckles to be in roughly the same spot regardless of lift for steering to still feel like stock /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with mine. Mine has 8" of lift. The things that helped me out were
    1 Installed to swaybar.
    2 Got it lined up
    3 Took the crappy rs9000x's off threw them in the garbage and replaced them with pro comp ES 9000. This made the biggest difference. I would start with the shocks the 9000's are a nitrogen charged shock and you should pay around $40-$50 for each one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check your frame by the steering box. I'm the posterboy for steering box awareness.

As for shocks, it makes absolutely no sense to me to remove Rancho RS9000s, which are high pressure gas monotubes, and replace them with a twin tube gas charged shock. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Hell if I could afford any monotube shock (Procomp has one, the MX6) I sure as hell wouldn't take it off and put twin tube shocks on which you can buy at Autozone for $15 each.

16. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

this may be a stupid answer because I dont know much about lifts or anything...but the way u describe the rear end wandering...check the tire pressure first.

17. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

The cheap, easy, simple fix for mine was the raised steering arm. [about $40]. It helps to cure what is called bump steer. My blazer was pretty scary to drive after I lifted it until I put this on it
    bob

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Did you correct the draglink angle by adding a dropped draglink or raised steering arm? I have 6" ProComp springs in the front (read:STIFF as sh!t) and and ORD 4" shackle flip int the rear with 2.5" TC EZ-ride springs. I DO notice that the front is really stiff and the rear is soft as can be but the handling is VERY respectable for a truck that is 8' tall. And I have NO sway bars. I did correct my steering with a raised steering arm, but do still have a bit of bump steer.

Chris

19. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

The steering has been corrected with a raised steering arm.

I keep a close eye on that frame by the steering box. I had a couple of K10s that cracked on me there, at one time.

I do think that I will check out the tire pressure. That might not be too bad a place to start...

Any thoughts of playing around with the pressure a bit, maybe a little more in the back, than the front, to help correct the different springs?

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check your front shackle tightness, you dont want them binding. Did you install longer shocks when you lifted it?

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif