Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for the steering gods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Mar 12, 2004.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I Have recently done a frame swap on my blazer and previous to the frame swap i had a 4 inch lift so i put it on the new frame. I was cycling the steering today when i noticed that i have twice the steering to the left as the right. Is this normal or is something wrong? Can it be fixed?

Thanks
    Clint

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm guessing you have no steering correction of any form? Its normal for lifted trucks, thats why you need things like drop pitman arms and raised steering arms.

3. pplblazerdude

I have a raised steering arm. I have no idea what to do.

Any help is muchly apreciated.

Thanks
    Clint

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

was the pitman arm removed? maybe the shaft was not centered when you pressed it on??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. pplblazerdude

we have done nuthing to the steering box but take it of the frame and stick it on the new frame.

Thanks
    Clint

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Maybe you will need to undo the draglink and recenter it on the threads to start from scratch. Make sure pitman arm is on correctly, then adjust draglink to center steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I think Stallion's right on this one-pull the pitman arm off the shaft, then turn the wheel all the way to the left (or right), then count the number of turns to go full lock to the opposite side. From that point, take the number of turns and cut it in half, then go back to the left that amount, and you're centered.

So, if it takes say 7 turns to go from full left to full right, then you'd go back 3.5 turns from the right-make sense? From there, once you're centered, put the pitman arm back on and tighten everything down again. If your steering wheel is not centered, you can either pull the shaft off the splines, spin the wheel to center then reconnect, or loosen the drag link and adjust it that way. Oh-make sure your wheels are strait ahead before you do adjust anything.

Hope that helps, and Best of Luck,

Mike

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

ummm, the pitman arm only can be bolted correctly in one spot on the steering gear box. if you got the bolt to go through the pitman arm, it is on correctly

it sounds like you need to adjust the draglink length. jack up the front axle and get both front tires off the ground. turn the wheel to the direction that you seem to be short on and look to see how far away the knuckle is from the dead stop. extend or retract the length of the drag link until that knuckle is close to touching the dead stop. if you turn the wheel back to center, the front tires should be in the ballpark. make some final adjustment on the draglink and you should be all set.

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ummm, the pitman arm only can be bolted correctly in one spot on the steering gear box. if you got the bolt to go through the pitman arm, it is on correctly

it sounds like you need to adjust the draglink length. jack up the front axle and get both front tires off the ground. turn the wheel to the direction that you seem to be short on and look to see how far away the knuckle is from the dead stop. extend or retract the length of the drag link until that knuckle is close to touching the dead stop. if you turn the wheel back to center, the front tires should be in the ballpark. make some final adjustment on the draglink and you should be all set.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pitman arm can be installed in 4 different places(4 different master/wide splines)

the box gets centered, then the arm installed in the correct location

I agree that it is just a drag link adjustment issue though

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i guess i have never seen an gear box output shaft that has more than one spot for a bolt to slide through. we are talking about 4x4 steering boxes, right?

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the pitman arm can be installed in 4 different places(4 different master/wide splines)

the box gets centered, then the arm installed in the correct location

I agree that it is just a drag link adjustment issue though

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case why are we busting our asses looking for 2wd steering boxes for crossover steering? I dunno what box you have but my stock steering box will only let the pittman arm bolt on in one position, it is keyed.