Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those of you with a sm465 and a detroit in the rear...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 5, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have a question for those of you with sm465 tranny a a 14bff with a detroit in the rear...I know Rene and MudHog both have this setup...I love how the thing runs, But i have notice that when I am making a steep turn in a parking lot, giving it just enough gas to keep the rear locked, and when I let of the gas in the middle of the turn, the truck will buck and jerk pretty hard for a few seconds...have you guys noticed this? I know I have more "slack" in my driveline than most b/c of a worn coupler and a worn tranny output shaft...I was just curious...thanks gang...

Chris

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

mine does the same from time to time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. fortcollinsram

yeah, I have noticed that mine will ONLY do it if I give it enough gas to lock up the axle when initiating the turn...I assume the when I let off the gas, it can decide what whell to let free wheel and it sends the energy from both wheels thru the driveline...and since we dont have a TC, that energy turns into a wild ride...oh well...I still love this think...I got puilled over only a week after installing it b/c I gave it a little too much around a turn and the inside tire barked at the cop...oh, well..he was understanding and let me off...

Chris

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That's normal for the DL to have that much slop when working behind a 465.

An automatic tranny is much more forgiving. Automatics are why you don't get slop as much as you do a 465. Between shifting a 465, accelerating and decelerating, there is a lot of slop when running the DL. Nothing to worry about here as its all normal.

5. fortcollinsram

Cool thanks guys...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What I get is turning left I end up having to shift from 2 to 3 mid turn. The truck does get a little dodgy doing that. After a while you sub-conciously modify your driving techniques though. I rarely get a tire to chirp or bark anymore...and very rarely do I get the big bang where it sounds like the tranny just dropped out of the truck.

I beleive that soft springs aggravate the slop you feel as they deflect. Set the parking brake with the truck in neutral and push it back and forth while watching the pinion. You'd be amazed how much it moves...

I'm hoping that with the A-tron anti wrap installed it'll lessen the percieved slop in the driveline as well as control the axle wrap i have.

Rene

7. fortcollinsram

Speaking of that loud "bang" what the hell is it? I hear it very seldom, but it is there nonetheless...The other day, I got that bang as I slowly pulled straight out of a parking space...Is it the dog teeth on the locker just re-engaging? you are correct about the locker teaching you how to drive Rene...if it has a problem with what you war doing, it WILL let you know, either by making a BANG!, chirpping the tires, or bucking the entire truck around...

Chris

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it's just when the locker is not locked and as you gas it it locks violently. It's hard to reproduce...but I've only got about 1000 miles on mine so far. Unsettling the first time or two though/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

rene

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I love that sound,
    I actually turned around on the highway once to see what snapped off after a louder then normal crunch LOL