Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those running 52" fronts and 7" shackes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, May 18, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What did you do about your pinion angle? Did you shim the leaf pack? I am planning on relocating the rear shackle mount up about 2" and forward 3".

I want more droop than stuff so I plan on a 30 degree or so shackle angle. The 52" leaves I am using are Tuff Country 2" lift rear springs. I removed 3 leaves and the overload so they are very soft now, they flatten out with only a small amount of arc. I would guess they offer around 2-3" of lift over stock.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

bump as I would like to know the answer to this as well. What *shims are you using if any.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I didn't shim at all. On my 10 bolt I was running a Tom Woods' High Angle U-joint, but when I went to the D60 I needed a conversion U-joint. I havn't flexed it out with it to see if it binds yet.

Mike

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have installed one side so far and I moved the shackle forward about 3.5" and up an inch. The shackle is at about 32 degrees to the rear after weight is applied to the spring and it flattens out. The pinion is angled up just a hair which is nice. I mocked it up with the shackles in their stock position and the pinion has pointed down. I believe this caused negative castor?

The spring has a limited amount of uptravel before the spring eye hits the frame. I am moving the front hanger bracket to the forward position on the frame to give me a little more bump without putting the tire into the firewall.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Here is my final product. I am going to make some longer bump stops to prevent the "W" axle effect. Uptravel is limited but the droop is amazing. I have the axle pushed as far forward as I can. Gained ~2" of wheelbase on the front. I am able to bottom out the shock so uptravel is not *that* limited....

[​IMG]

Pinion angle

[​IMG]

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

It looks like your front hanger is dropped below stock so that will help your pinion angle.
    I run just the stock brackest moved forward and I have blew up 3 stock CV's, 1 1310 axle joint, and 1 1310 D60 yoke.

I have since then went to 1410 at the axle end and put in 8* shims, fixed the problem.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I sure hope you get some longer brakelines before you take that out of the garage :eek1: :D

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Got 36" SS lines ready to install :pimp:

9. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I have 6 degree shims on mine.

10. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

just out of curiosity, why move the rear shackle forward? It looks to me as you would get more lift and still have more flex if you left it in the stock location.

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You could leave it in the stock location with no problem and it would infact give more lift. The shackle would have been vertical with an even amount of flex up and down. I wanted the lowest amount of lift with more down travel based on my wheeling style.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Hey, I just did a 52 swap on my 71 and ended up with just about the same droop with my front shaft. What are your plans so it doesn't bind?

13. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when I do the swap I am gonna fab some front mounts like Jays68yak did. Drop the front mount down so you don't have to fight much of an angle issue.

[​IMG]

14. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I used six inch rear springs for mine and just flipped the shims that came with them around. Wasn't quite perfect, but pretty close. 'course with that much lift a custom driveshaft was mandatory anyway.

15. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i have 6* shims on mine and still get slight DW. I had it with my 6" lift springs, shimmed it, it stopped, did 52s and it came back.