Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those running Doug Thorley headers on small block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I defently will be building a motor sometime over the next couple of year. I know I'll get the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers. My question is; Will I need heads with strait plugs, or angle plugs ???

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Mine come out strait, don't have the headers on yet but they are the ones for the truck (doug thorleys)...finally got the front glass in so now I can drive it over to have them installed...should be in the next 2 or 3 weeks, will let you know... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Definitely straight plugs

I have older Trick Flow Aluminum heads with angled plugs and I literally cannot even move my spark plug boots without removing my headers - biggest PITA ever!

Didn't want to plasma my thorleys for fear of voiding the lifetime warranty - so I've lived with it - but cannot do compression checks, etc without major pain!

Definitely straight!

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I've got the straight plug heads. I had to use header spark plugs though, in order for the spark plug boots not to be too close to the headers. With the header plugs there is no problem with clearance for the spark plug wires.

5. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Apparently Doug Thorley and his wife split up a few years ago....she got the business....and rumor is, moved the manufacturing over seas. A few hot rod friends have complained about a drop in quality.

Doug has a new Co. called Headers by Doug.

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

1Blazin71 is right about the split up of Doug Thorley and his wife a few years ago in which his wife got the header business. However, I have not heard anything about manufacturing of Doug Thorley headers overseas. In fact, Thorley headers, www.thorleyheaders.com, just joined up with Jardine exhaust, both businesses which reside right here in Southern California. As for Doug, his business is called Dougs Headers and can be found at www.dougsheaders.com As for quality, I don't think you'll find a product that can beat it.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe one of the selling points of Doug Thorley headers is the fact that they will work with straight or angle plug heads. I have angle plug heads and use hooker super comps (which say they WON'T fit angle plug heads.........I even use regular length plugs not shorties, but I HAVE to run 90* plug wires). I believe on the site, they say that they will fit angle plug heads.

Give them a call, I'm sure they will verify this.