Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for those that have tow rigs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Sep 29, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I finally convinced my wife that her 2000 Tahoe needed to be replaced /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif with a 2002, 2500 HD. I wanted the truck to haul my K5 around. I prolly wont be doing any hauling for awhile but have been trying to gather up what i will need and i caint find a tongue and ball that is rated for 12,000 lbs like the reciever. Where are these things, the biggest i found was 10,000 lbs, is that big enough? Also its been awhile since my and the old man hauled throughbreds all over the place so i could some use info on trailor brakes. Thanks

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

10,000lbs is more than enuff dude. Have ya checked out any of the local trailer and RV supply places around where you live? I'm a welder for a company called Best Trailer Inc....We have that stuff in the showroom, thats why I ask. ANy of those kinda places would be able to hook ya up. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif By the way.....You goin for the Duramax or the Vortec 8100 in your new HD? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong but does the rate jump when you go to a 5th wheel?
    I've seen HUGE a$$ trailers being pulled by Converted busses. Maybe try there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got a 9,000K for mine just for security reasons. Had been pulling a 8K trailer with a 5K ball and drop hitch with no probs though. You should be fine with that.

And Maybe he's skipping the GM uglytruck, and gettting an HD CUMMINS!!!!

5. sapper

I wanted the duramax but it wasent in the cards. I went to the dealer looking for 4 door work truck with the duramax to keep the price down but nobody had one so i kept looking and found a dealer in wilmington that had a used 2002 with the 6.0 liter. long story short i got way cheap with only 5000 miles so brought it home.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey dude, a good deal is a good deal. You'll like the truck. I pulled my blazer on a heavy carhauler around with a 5.3 Chevy half ton before I got my dodge and it did everything i asked of it. 65 mph everywhere the law allowed...;)

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

2 5/16" bulldog coupler should be big enough for 10,000+ lbs. It's common on car haulers. You could use a pintle hitch, which is rated for a lot more than the bulldog. But unless it was loaded down, it would probably rattle all the time. Or, you could go with a 5th wheel setup, but the trailers are $$$.

BIGJ

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya but with the 5th wheel we could all get a ride!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a pintle hitch on my trailer. It does rattle some which blends in with the other rattles. Its also some security for the traler. Not too many people have a pintle hitch setup to steal it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. sapper

never thought of that, we have tons of pintle hitchs here, one on every hummer /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just bought a 2500HD and I love it. Best place to find info on the 2500HDs (where I was pointed when I bought mine) is www.thedieselpage.com. You can also get all the advice based on real world towing experience you need there. Search the forums, lots of good stuff. BTW, it's not just diesel stuff. They have forums and articles specifically on chassis issues, the 8.1, accessories, etc.

12. sapper

thanks Russ

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya! Ditto.....thanks dude! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif