Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those TPI guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ruthven13, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

For those of you who have converted over to TPI: have any of you used the stock TBI harness and repin the computer plugs or have you just used an entirely different (painless, donor car) harness altogether? A couple of things are a little different, and I am in the middle of the project! All should work out well... Any help would be appreciated!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I converted my truck to TPI using a Painless TPI harness. Works very well. I would recommend an aftermarket harness for a TPI swap. I have a stock TPI harness from a donor Firebird in my garage and it is scary to say the very least. The Painless harness has most all of the connections marked as to what they are and a instruction book that tells you what everything is and breaks down the entire harness by the color coded wires. Well for the $300 to save the frustration.

Harley

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if i had to do mine again i would go with these guys. they will build you a custom harness and custom applications
    http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

i will cost you more than the painless harness but IMLAO it's well worth it

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No a TBI harness wouldnt work. It is WELL worth it ot get the painless harness.

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

When I swapped my 85 to a TBI I uesed the harness from the doner truck and I used the tank.

6. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I agree the stock harness out of the camaro I'm using is terrifing so i gog the painless harness and its not so scary /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Right, I figured repinning would work. The guys over at Thirdgen.org seem to swear by it. They mostly deal with the car TBI harness. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it with a truck. Should be the same. I am going to try it and will report back. I just hope this thing runs as good as it looks!

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I just hope this thing runs as good as it looks!

[/ QUOTE ]
    It should! Mine gets it now even more. ..at any angle. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Its ready for some juice or a vortech... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Also heres my TPI Swap Write Up.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    Should be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]\

How do you figure?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Because the camaro's came TBI as well, and it's the same vintage. Truck setup uses all the same stuff the car does (AFAIK) so the re-pin should be exactly the same.

For the stock harness scaring everyone, I'd sure like to know why. I think I pulled the alternator and AC wires out of my stock TPI harness, and besides the AIR and EVAP (which are tied up out of the way) all are plugged in/reused. All connections are keyed and only go to one component, so an aftermarket harness can't be any simpler, (minus the AC or alternator which is about 4 wires and two connectors) unless it's missing components.

If you don't have the appropriate wiring manual for the harness, it might be scary, but anyone that knows TPI can work on my truck and troubleshoot it with a factory manual. (even though I'm the only one doing it)

And if you don't think the factory manual is an advantage, wait until something doesn't work and you have to figure out which component it is. BTDT, factory manual paid for itself the first time.

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Looking at the wiring diagrams and such or the TBI and TPI, they share pretty much all the same sensors and inputs. THe Pinout for the car TBI and the truck TBI look to be very close, with only some slight differnces, eg, IAT sensor on the car. Comparing the different computers and wires, I think I can repin the old harness to use the new '7730 PCM and plugs. If it all works out ( /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif ), y'all will be the first to know! Wish I could post pics to show the progress. Maybe I will take a break later and find somewhere to host them.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    with only some slight differnces, eg, IAT sensor on the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what I meant, and the fact theres only 2 FI connectors, as where youll need 8 for TPI, MAP sensor, cam and, or crank sensor. Sounds like you have it figured out though!

13. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

The 8 injectors actually get all connected together into two wires. Gotta love the batch fire! There are only two injector drivers on the '730 PCM. Just wire each bank of 4 injectors to the TBI leads and it should work. SHOULD work. I haven't proven anything yet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too used Painless. Simple plug and play if you can spend the $300. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif