Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those w/Bluetorch diff covers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I got a free set of axles from my bro-in-law, upgrade for me 10b to 12b and better gears.

Anyways the cover had been peeled up, so I figured it was a good time to get a beefy diff cover. I went with one from Bluetorch.

It is a very nice piece, and fit just fine.

The question I have is about the bolts. I don't really like the little 12pt bolts included. But with the holes so close to the weld, I don't know if any other type will clear. I like the cap screws that the Crane cover comes with, but again I don't think they will clear the weld bead.

I was just curious if anyone else had tried a different bolt with success.

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Don't know about the bolts but congrats on the free axles! what are you up to 3.42's now? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. mrk5

Easy now! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    You'd better watch out, 3.73s! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

After watching you and John beatin' up the rocks, I figured I'd better get some extra protection. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i really like these covers , cheaper and they look stronger /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I made my own cover but it looks just like the bluetorch ones, I had the problem with the stock cover bolts also, I went out and bought some regular bolts without that little ring thing and they just bairley go on, so you might jst wanna take the bolt to the hardware store and find the bolt with the smallest head. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I used a stainless allen head screw. It works great and I won't have to worry about it being to big when Iput my aluminum cover on.
    [​IMG]

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any pictures of the bolts? All of my Bluetorch covers have had 3/8 grade 8 bolts with 6 point heads. BTF covers rock, I doubt I will do more than scratch one of mine.

8. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i really like these covers , cheaper and they look stronger /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen him before, very impressive! Makes you wonder if it isn't stronger than the pumpkin, because it's more ductile. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen him before, very impressive! Makes you wonder if it isn't stronger than the pumpkin, because it's more ductile. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    For everything you upgrade there is always a weak link.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have one of his covers on my ff14b. Very beefy. Also they are very compatible with the standard amount of housing shaving most people do (ie shave everything below the bottom bolt hole). Not sure how it'd work with shaving like the guys who have an "11 bolt"... but in any case they are great covers and inexpensive too. If it means anything, when I replace my front D60s cover / diff guard, I'm gonna use his cover. Another bonus about his covers, if you ever break it in any way, he'll replace it no questions asked.

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

BTF is suppossed to be working on a 14 bolt shaving kit. Namely a shaved ring gear, diff cover, and plate to be welded on.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

holy crap funnycold, I just went to homedepot to look at getting some of those bolts and they were $2.40 a piece that freakin $30 just for bolts /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I don't think it turns the pumpkin into a weak link. I just think it could take a harder bash than the pumpkin could. I wouldn't run one if it made my pumpkin the weak link, I'd rather replace a cover!!!

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you get a good enough hit to crack your pumpkin I don't think a sheetmetal cover would anywhere near help. If you hit that hard on the lip of the cover the pumpkin will take the hit either way. And if you hit that hard in the middle of the cover, well your ring gear is taking that hit and not going to be happy by any means /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I think you understand I just felt like amking this post, ha.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a Great Lakes Offroad cover for my '60, and it's BEEFY!!

16. mrk5

Can't get an actual pic, because it is dark and all.
    This is what they look like.
    [​IMG]

As it is now the heads just barely clear the weld bead, and they look a little cocked in some of the holes.

Plus, I don't have any 12point sockets or wrenches.

Luckily my bro-in-law had an end-wrench that worked.

I'd rather use allen-head screws, and I was wondering if they had worked for anyone else.