Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for those who have done lifts/axle swaps at home

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGDAN112686, Aug 31, 2003.

1. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

alright everyone. ive been lookin around for the tools needed to do a lift and axle swap at home. i have the hand tools needed(got a sears mechanics tool set for last christmas) but i dont have any jack stands or a floor jack. in lookin around im not findin anything that will lift to a height that could allow me to do a 6" lift and 35's or 36's and an axle swap. any ideas?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Harbor Freight has jackstands that will go to over 30" high. </font>

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

all im gunna say is find some 2 feet tall peices of wood, Cut tree trunks, such and such, and you might need a grinder to get those old bolts out, because if the truck lived for any of its life in the rustbelt, they probly rusted in good /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. but use natural style jack stand bases, and then put some jackstands ontop of that, that is what i have\had to do when installing my 4" lift kit, and when i recently had to replace my spring shims. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a hint: You don't have to lift the truck up high enough to fit the lift kit and those tires right away. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I only jack the truck up high enough to remove the tires, then I'll let it back down so that the bottoms of the brakes are just a few inches off the ground (perhaps 6-8 inches to install a 4-inch lift). This way you don't have 5,500 lbs of truck teetering on tall stands, blocks of wood, etc. and you don't have to lift the axles up much to bolt them back into place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Install the springs and then you can jack the truck up high enough to install the tires and wheels after the lift kit is in place.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's a hint: You don't have to lift the truck up high enough to fit the lift kit and those tires right away. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I only jack the truck up high enough to remove the tires, then I'll let it back down so that the bottoms of the brakes are just a few inches off the ground (perhaps 6-8 inches to install a 4-inch lift). This way you don't have 5,500 lbs of truck teetering on tall stands, blocks of wood, etc. and you don't have to lift the axles up much to bolt them back into place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Install the springs and then you can jack the truck up high enough to install the tires and wheels after the lift kit is in place.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yet another great post from Harry.
    What he said man. thats how i did it.
    Grant

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Have to agree. When installing the lift have the axles sitting on the ground and then you'll only lift by the frame. A couple short 4x4s(lumber) help also.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmm...not sure what i missed when i installed mine, but alot of lift was needed with jackstands on bricks...lots of bricks. Yikes.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I was able to use the 4 6 ton jack stands my wife bought me for xmas to do my spring swap. I was able to jack it up high anough to swap in 4" lift + 1" zero rates in front and a shackle flip in the rear + 1" zero rates and there was still some height left in the stands. Once the axles are mounted you can lift with the jack under the axle tube and move the stand under the tube to fit the tires.

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea but we have cheesey jackstands, and the stumps of wood werked perfect with the cheesey jackstands, and by cheesy i mean not high anough even at full extension, and my dad has a wood fetish so it only made sense for me to get the wood and use it, so he could split the wood with his new farm and fleet log splitter later. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tires off is great and easy in the rear, but you will need either a dolly or two jacks to do the front axle. (you can balance it on one, but its a PITA) I've done it both ways. You can also use some extra small tires to move the axles around on. At the very least get some 6 ton jackstands from Harbor Freight. They extend to 2' tall and are on sale right now for less than $20. Of course, the the 12 ton ones are nice but they will cost you $75. Another good buy is the long frame, 3' max height jack on sale for $100. You won't *need* it, but it sure makes things easier. Count on needing a 4.5" grinder, a BFH, some punches, and PB Blaster. BTW, make sure your socket set has a 15/16" deep-well. Last, and its already been said but its important so I'll repeat it, keep things as close to the ground as you can.

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I second the two floor jacks...

It gets pretty scary balancing the rig sometimes...