Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those who know about camaros

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Feb 20, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Was looking in the newspaper and i saw a camaro for sell.

its a 1991 RS with t-tops and 5speed tranny...thats all the add says.

And I'm bored so i was thinking i might go and look at it a little later today.
    What can you tell me about this car? what motor might it have? is there anything in particular i should look for in this car?

I'm kinda interested in this car, because most of the camaros that i have seen have been automatics, and it has been hard to find one with the manual..also what was the last year of this body style, because i like this body style and hate the new small body styles..

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

It'll have a 305 in it, they didn't make 350 stick cars cuz they flex the unibody too badly. Look for the usual rusty floor and subframes. also look for wrinkles in the sail panel (c-pillar), which is a sign that the car has been abused in a right foot kind of way.

3. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

What thedrip said. My father in law used to have that exact car. It was a cool ride. Most of the 5.7 liter rides were auto. If you want to add some power to one with a manual with out causing "twist" you need sub frame connectors.

Where exactly is "here and there" cause here they don't usually have rust.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your going to want to reprogram it too . I remember my buddies purple one cutting out at 112 mph . Damn the factory :thumb:

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I have owned numerous F-bodies(camaro/firebird).I also like the look of the 3rd gen bodies but they are rattletraps.If the car has many miles on it they usually have done alot of flexing if they have T-tops.If the car is in really good shape and not alot of miles ,have sub frame connectors installed immediately.The difference is night and day as to how the car will handle and ride let alone prevent the obnoxious rattling inside.Even if it has been somewhat abused ,the sbfcs will make a huge difference.Depending on what part of the country this car has spent its life look around the t-bar with the t-tops removed for rust.If there is alot of rust there beware!Also if the car is t-top equipped,look at the carpet and seats for signs of extreme dampness.I always would wait till a rainy day or the day after a good rain to look at one of these to check for t-top leaks.The good thing about these f-bodies is that there are a boatload of parts available for these vehicles.
    Make sure that the car "tracks" good going down the road.With these cars not having a full frame ,it doesn't take much of a previous accident to tweak these cars which causes them to track funny down the road.Most of these cars i have looked at have been run hard.At least where i live.Just be careful
    and ask alot of questions before you spend the dough.;)
    I currently own a 2002 Ram Air T/A 6spd.This is probably my 6th or 7 th
    F-body i have owned but i will be keeping this one.It should run mid 12s this year.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Personally, I would never buy a car with T-tops. They weaken the body way too much as mentioned above.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info and tips, unfourtunatly i never did get a chance to go look at it. but i will definatly keep all this in mind if i do get the chance someday

8. gauder

gauder Banned

RS is tbi.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

RS could also have the 2.8 V-6 in it.

Ira