Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those who own a 86-??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Mar 1, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a wire harness for my 84 and am havin a hard time. I found a harness off from a 86 so here is my question. The turn signals on there are they behind the grille or is that some kinda running light? Reason I ask is becuase my blazer has 2 headlights and the turn signals below. Looking at pics of the 86s look like 4 headlight and turn signal behind the grille right?

Thanks

Scott
    78blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 78blazer on 03/01/01 08:21 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

That is because yo have a 3/4 ton I believe... they only had the 2 headlights and blinkers below. These trucks obviously take a different bulb so the connectes won't work... You'll need to find a 3/4 ton from the early to mid eighties... not sure what the last year that option was around... I know they had some blazers with that setup in 88-90 too and I think that would work... at least for the headlight part of it.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

There for the blinkers in the grill. I had the kind you have on my 87. I changed it to four headlights along with the wiring harness. If you use the 86 four headlight wiring harness you are going to have some extra high beam plugs hanging there. I am sure it will work though. You`re just not going to have high beams. But if you use your original wires that plug in under the hood from your 2 headlight one you won`t have a problem. Not sure if youre replacing the whole harness or not.

4. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I still have part of my headlight harness from the 84 but it was cut when I got it, But I could probably splice it into the harness off from the 86 so I could have high beams also?

Scott
    78blazer

5. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

Sounds like a plan if I am reading you correctly anyway. Good luck and splice wisely.:)

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would also have to echo the "splice carefully" sentiment. The load on the wires might be too much if you were to just "add in" the two other headlights, since they are only designed to work=low beams:top two lights on. Hi beams, all 4 on. Running power through the same wire, to run all 4 lights even on low, might cause you some problems. I'm not sure if the factory used seperate wiring from the fuse panel forward for both hi and lo beams though. 4 headlights was an option...either you had 4 headlights or you had 2 headlights and parking lights beneath that year. Core supports are different.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I might be reading this wrong but from what I read it looks like you think I am gonna add 2 more lights? By blazer only has two and that is the way it is staying what I was gonna do was splice the wires with another light harness from the 84 so I would still only have 2 lights but be able to have my hi and dims still. [​IMG]

Scott
    78blazer

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are sticking with two lights, no problem that I can think of, since the 4 headlight setup will still have the 3 prong connector you will need for the one hi/lo setup as you have.The parking lamp wires will also be there, since on the 4 headlight front ends, the parking lights were towards teh center of the grille. The wires will still be there for them, and SHOULD be the same no matter where the lights are located. You should end up with one connector on the wiring harness (2 prongs) that is unused.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for your guys input. This is what I wound up doing. When I got the truck the headlight harness was the only thing in it but it was cut. So I had taken it out and tried the 78 harness in there no go. So now I ripped the complete harness inside and out, out of a 86 which has 4 lights mine only has two. So I took the old harness that was cut for the 84 put it back in cut the wires from the 86 so I had enough to splice into the 84 harness and it all works good now. Except when I was done my blinkers would not work took me a bit to figure it out. I swapped the flashers from the 78s fuse box into it and they worked. Im so happy my truck should finally be running this weekend after over a year....

Scott
    78blazer