Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those who run 42" tires.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Question for those who run 42\" tires.

I have about 8" of lift and the fenders will not be an issue when I get done removing them. What I am wondering is how close do the 42" tires come to the cab? I have moved the axle forward 1.5" and might go another 1" or so. Am I going to have to beat in the cab any? I plan on dropping the suspension down some also.

Who runs 42's and what suspension have you gotton away with? Thanks.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Question for those who run 42\" tires.

Matt-

I've run 42's now on one real run. I've got my fenders hacked pretty good, and I completely removed the inner wells. While I was removing the wells, I also cut-off/BEAT-in the seams that are directly behind the inner well. I'm running 6" lift and a 1" body.

Past that, I didn't do much else - and I haven't rubbed on the firewall yet - YET. I haven't ramped the truck... but its had the chance to rub in the front.

IN THE REAR on the other hand... I get rubbage on the inner wheel well (where it connects to the bed.) Flexed up pretty good, I get an arc rubbed into the crap stuck in there about 2.5" at its highest point. You've got another 1" in lift than what I do... but I am guessing that you will still contact there. I am working on some plans to CHOP the rear well in half (front to back), cut out the bed, move the well inwards 2-3", and then fill in the gap. For now, I'll just let it rub! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Hope this helps!

-Dan

3. mainiac

mainiac Registered Member

Hey Matt,
    We've had the discussion about how much lift is on my truck and you know how much I have trimmed my fenders. I did rub a little at BB03 this year, but I think I have another 1-2" behind the inner fender. Just to be safe I would trim the seams on the cab so if you did rub it would not cut the tires up.

BTW notice I got my picture icon to work.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Some help /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thanks for the reply's guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think I'll just do all of the clearance tricks now since I have the front clip off. I saw those body seams and it seems like you could lose quite a bit.