Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those who run the sm465..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Nov 8, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Do any of you run red line gear oil in your trannies?..I was thinking about doing it the other day. but then I remembered reading eaither on here or pirate, that some where having problems shifting, because it was "to thick".

So anyone have any actual experience with red line in the tranny?

Currently I run Valvoline 80/90w.

Also I recently checked my fluid level and i was low about a quart and a half. didn't have any problems though. But i went ahead and toped it back off. And now i have a "whine" comming form the tranny. :confused:
    So thats why i was thinking red line, because i know that it coats really good, and sticks to everything

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

465's have oil in side them? Last I checked mine I was putting the engine in. that was two years ago. No visible leaks from the trans or t/case so I never really was inclined to look again. Guess I will when I change the oil next time....

As for what oil to use I think I topped it off with 80/90w back then. However I think the newer 465's (newer as some time in the 80's) switched to a lighter oil. someone else might want to chime in as I can't remember when the swtich was made nor can I recall the type of fluid it was changed to.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I run regular dino oil 80/90 in mine