Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those with 15" rims and a 60??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jun 16, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Question for those with 15\" rims and a 60??

After grinding the calipers have you noticed any bad effects or problems with the brakes as far as operating or strengh?? I will be getting a 60 monday and have 15" steel rims with 4 1/4" BS and wanted to know whats better the extra money for 16.5" rims and tires or the work of grinding if theres nothing wrong with the brakes afterward?? TIA

2. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

Re: Question for those with 15\" rims and a 60??

I have 15" Bead Locks on a 44 and let me tell you it is alot of grinding some places on the backing plates get perty thin put I have not noticed any Probs with anything works fine. If you are going to get new rims I would go with 17" ones. A little more comon and you can't get 16.5 beadlocks /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 17" tires are way more expensive and not very common, and you CAN get 16.5" beadlocks.

i think with 4.25 back spacing you need to grind a bit more than 3", doesn't seem like you loose brakeing power. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The type of grinding on a D44 compared to what is needed on a D60 is completely different. The D44 caliper takes a light dusting, where the d60 caliper loses about a 1/4" of material by 2-2.5" wide depending on rim backspace.

My D60 is ground for 4.125" backspace rims. Truck stops straight as an arrow still. I have about 12,000 miles on the truck since the D60 install.

Grind away dude...

Rene

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

had the 60 and 15" rims for almost 2 years now and no probs... Havent ever heard of any either.

6. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any problems with mine nether.
    when you see the size of the calaper you'll know you can afford to loose some material

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    After grinding the calipers have you noticed any bad effects or problems with the brakes as far as operating or strengh??

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[ QUOTE ]
    I will be getting a 60 monday and have 15" steel rims with 4 1/4" BS and wanted to know whats better the extra money for 16.5" rims and tires or the work of grinding if theres nothing wrong with the brakes afterward?? TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you are going to run beadlocks, don't go 16.5s. My street rims have 4.25" of BS... sure, you grind a lot, but there is still a LOT of material left in 1-ton breaks post-grind. Now don't get me wrong, don't grind any more than you have too... but for 4.25" bs rims, its np.

BTW, keep in mind that new pads/rotors etc will change how much grinding is needed... so if your stuff is old and worn and you grind so the rims will fit, someday when you redo your brakes the rims won't fit anymore...

j

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My rims are 4.25" backspacing. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif away. No ill effects here...no regrets. I wouldn't run anything BUT a 15" rim.

I took brand new calipers out of the box with new pads and hardware and started grinding.......

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only bad effects I have from grinding my D60 is sometimes after going in mud, some dirt stays on the inside of the rims and couses a grinding sound. As far as braking no problems except for the rear brakes but thats another problem /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. bigchief427

bigchief427 Registered Member

i just ground my 60 last week with 15" eatons sure did seem like a lot grinding (burned up my harbor freight angle grinder) but in the end wasn't that bad. looks like lots of material left when compared to the 1/2ton 10 bolt caliper it replaced

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the input guys i appreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif