Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those with Detriot in rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had a Detriot No Spin installed in my rear axle about 6 monthes ago and I wanted to get a prognosis on a sound.

When I let off the gas I hear a kind of grinding sound and then when I lay on the gas again it will make the noise again. At the points where the noise occurs it is like something in the drivetrain must be engaging and disengaging.

I'm trying to determine if this is a Detroit thing, or if I need to investigate other sources for the noise.

I don't really remember hearing the noise before the Detroit.

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Pull the diff cover off and take a look at it. A few quarts of gear oil and a little PITA is a lot better than a new rear end. Your post is vague, and no one is going to be able to give you a definate answer by you attempting to describe a noise. Detroit has a good website and tech dept. that can help you if you have any questions.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have never heard my detroit make a grinding noise, if I let of the gas and then get back on it I can feel the detroit lock back up but it never make a grinding noise like you are describing. id pull the cover and take a peak at what is going on in there.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've never noticed any noise coming from my Detroit, on or off road.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Any other noises at all ? I know when my truck made noise simmilar to that at certain speeds , Marv said u-joints , and he was right . Mine had a tink sound sometimes associated it , but not always , mostly gear or bearing noise , Marv said dead giveaway .

Either way , being that long ago , pull the fluid out anyway and change it as a precaution and an excuse to check things out .

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I get a difined "klunk" never any grinding.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like a driveshaft joint issue more than a detroit problem..

j

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I get the same noise and my tires talking to me when I make turns. :D Who says you can't make a 40 bark:D:D

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem as that when I first lifted my truck. I tore the rearend apart, even completley taking out the detoit before I figured out what the grinding noise was. It turned out to be a bad pinion angle causing the slip yolk on the 208 to bounce around inside the t-case causing the grinding noise. It would grind when I let off the gas, then grind for a sec right when I hit it. I had to get a rear cv shaft made. BTW- A detroit will make clunking sounds, and every now and then it will bang so hard you will just think your tranny fell out, but it should never grind.
    -Harrison

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm new to the locker world so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those "Oh yeah that happens all the time, no big deal" things. I knew about the klunk; I've only heard that once so far but I haven't had it on the trail yet either.

Sounds like I need to start checking other things. The pinion angle thing is interesting. I'll have to check that.

I know I replaced the u-joint at the pinion when I did the axle swap, but I don't think I've done the one at the slip yoke.