Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for those with On Board Air

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How much do your systems leak down over time? I've been pressure testing my system and it appears that I have a minor leak somewhere. I pumped it up to 103PSI at 5pm last night, this morning it was down to 100PSI. So over the course of 15 hours it lost a few PSI. Seems like with that slow of a leak it's going to be nearly impossible to track down since the molecules are pretty much sneaking out one by one somewhere. I'm sure that this is well within spec, but I would like it to be perfect. So, how much do your systems leak down? </font>

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Mine stays around 115 psi. When I finished my setup, I had the same problem with a slow leak on one of the tank fittings. Did you use plenty of teflon tape on the threads? Good luck on tracking it down, although it should be fairly easy to find with a water/soap mixture in a spray bottle.

BIGJ

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I used the yellow tape that's meant for lines carrying gasses. I'll do the soap and water trick this weekend to try and track it down. Thanks! </font>

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yellow tape? I've always used white teflon tape. It's a lot thinner than the Yellow stuff. That could be part of the problem also. It sure would suck to have to re-thread all of the fittings /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BIGJ

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

With that little leakage I bet it is going out the quick conects or out the check valve...not much you can do about it.

Of course you could always drive it into a lake and watch for bubbles

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I know it's alot thicker, but it's meant for gasses and the white stuff is supposed to be for liquid. If that's the problem then I guess I should have stuck with what I know. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'll try to track it down this weekend, but with that little leakage I'm not going to worry about it if I can't find it. </font>

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Most A/C shops have leak detectors that sniff for certain gases. These things are real sensitive and should be able to find your leak without too much trouble. The other approach may be to try the color dyes that are used on A/C systems to find the leak.
    Mike

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Damn only a 3lbs loss of air after 15 hrs. I wish I could get my Kenworth to hold air like that.
    By the way Shaggy where did you get your tank?

Eric

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

My god, thats like nothing, hell if any of our gravel trucks were that good(even our new Star), Id get the builder to redo the rest of the fleet the same way. In our trucks it averages 10 psi in 12 hrs of truck being parked.

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Shaggy,

I have had my system in the blazer now for about 3 years, and I used the white teflon tape on all my fittings. To date, I have no leakage of PSI. The system is totally leak free. I do have some pretty quality connections for the Quick Connects though.

Hope that helps.

Rob