Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for you all.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jul 5, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

A few years ago my sister got to take my '85 to school. I come home and see a note on the table saying something like. 'I wrecked the jimmy.' I go out and take a look and see no damage. then later I was mowing the yard and realized I had overlooked the damge and the passengers side door was caved in at the bottom. About two months ago I finally found a door in the junkyard with the same paint scheme (its a rare paint scheme, around here anyway) i bought it and began installing it and to this day I cant get it aligned properly. I have adjusted it many times but just cant get the thing to fit right. The door has a sticker saying it something about 'GMC, sponsor of the '84 olympics.' So I assume it is an '84 door. my question is. Is there a difference between the '84 door, or a c series or k series door? I dont think there is a difference between '84 and '85 doors and I cant imagine there being a difference between the c and k series door, but I am not sure. I will have a picture on my webshots tommorow for further assistance. Again I cant imagine there being a difference in the c/k series or the years of '84 and '85 but I'm not a expert. I'm i just not getting it aligned properly? Thanks in advance

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

there shouldn't be any difference. i don't see why it won't fit right. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Same door. It takes LOTS of patience! And shims! Could be the original door was misaligned due to bad body bushings and you never did notice it. Could be the hinges. You need to get a floor jack, 2x4's, blanket and again, patience. Jack the floor jack up against the bottom of the door with the door bottom resting on the 2x4 and blanket. The 2x4 needs to be the length of the door and the truck needs to be parked level. Once the jack is snug against the bottom of the door, loosen the bolts on the hinges. Which bolts? Door side or fender side? Only you can tell where they don't match up. You may have to adjust both the door and fender. Just raise or lower the jack until you get it. It will take many times! Or you will get lucky the first time.
    I ended up replacing the hinges. The pin inside the hinge was worn out and the new door didn't like that!

4. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i know how frustrating aligning a door can be, especially by yourself. i suggest gettin help from one other person. but then again, a jack could be awfully helpful (that never occured to my dumb-a$$).

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I did the floor jack thing 2 weeks ago but it just wasnt helping me i did it like 10 times, lossing and tighting those bolts is a pain. Everytime I had it lined up and tightened the bolts I would lower the jack and the door would just sag again. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif pain in the ass! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is the bushing still on the door striker? These are prone to break and come off. Replacing them will usually correct a sagging condition. Just a thought.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Bushing??????????????? I never seen a bushing on a door striker, uh, might you be refering to that plastic piece that is on em when you buy em? I thought that was a 'protector' for shipping /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ................Crap, i better go find mine just in case

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No difference on the years or the C or K series. Nothing.

Just lots of patience to do any alignment. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Lots of elbow grease, too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. HEFTY

HEFTY Registered Member

couldn't align my door, finally figured out it was the hinges, the hole the pin went through was ovalized. i got the holes drilled out and brass bushings put in to take up the play and they work fine now. (this may be why the door still sags after it comes off the jack.?)

10. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

That plastic thing you thought was for shipping is the door striker bushing. It helps in aigning the door.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

no diff in years. I have 84 doors on 73. i did have a hard time getting my passenger door to line up, but when I replaced the hinges with ones that were tighter. it was better.