Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for you guys with custom-made bumpers!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Sep 11, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to design my front and rear bumpers and wanted something pretty stout. I've seen some with clevis pins in front. Those of you who have them:

1. Are the tabs just welded to the front of the bumper, and if they are, are they strong enough winching points?

2. Do any of you have them welded through the bumper?

3. Did any of you modify or cut your frame horns to make them fit right?

4. Are they best welded or bolted onto the frame?

5. Do any of you have any close up pics to post so I can get some good ideas for bumper brakets?

6. Do any of you have a closeup pic of a latch (opposite the hinge) that attaches the swing-away tire carrier to the rear bumper?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really appreciate any input.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Here's a couple pics of my rear brackets: http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/T2/Eb/PL/Aa19045.jpg

It's better to bolt them on than weld - my frame didn't take any cutting at all.

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Those are great, do you have any larger pics?

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Ya its kinda hard to see them. Otherwise nice....

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<hr></blockquote>
    My clevis shackle brackets are welded through the bumper, my next bumpers will have the clevis mounts spaced so that a beefy bracket will come through the frame and also be used to bolt the bumper to the truck. Currently mine go through the frame and then an angle on the backside is welded to the frame itself. My front frame horns were pretty messed up so A) i didn't care and B) there wasn't much to bolt to.[​IMG]
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

6. Do any of you have a closeup pic of a latch (opposite the hinge) that attaches the swing-away tire carrier to the rear bumper?

<hr></blockquote>
    I have a tab welded to the carrier that meets up with a stud in the bumper face. The tab has a hole and i just bolt it shut with a nylock nut and a washer...crude but effective. i will eventually come up with something a little more user friendly, but bumpers are pretty far down on my list of things to do right now.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I'm also in process of designing bumpers. My plan is to have bolt-on brackets (using the factory hole) that extend through the bumper to form the attachment for the clevis at each horn. Probably use 1/2" plate for the brackets.

Hopefully, I'll have some drawings soon - I'll share when complete.

As for the carrier, hadn't made it that far yet.

John

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. One of the problems I have encountered is that I wanted to bolt the clevis mounts directly to the frame somehow, but since I have a body lift, that would mean I have to made the clevis mounts at an angle to go up through the bumpers. Can anyone out there share some close up pics?

9. DuneRunner

I just Emailed you a few pics of my Rear Bumpper.
    My clevis mounts are solid 1" with a stock. welded to a .25 plate welded to the .25 inch 6"x2".

Hope it helps...KEN

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

1. Are the tabs just welded to the front of the bumper, and if they are, are they strong enough winching points?

Mine are welded to the back of the tube and around most of the bottom. Yes, my front bumper has the winch on it and is holding up strong.

Nope.

I cut the rear frame horns level with the body so the bumper didn't stick out so far.

I bolted mine ot the frame for easy removal and repairs.

5. Do any of you have any close up pics to post so I can get some good ideas for bumper brakets?

Sorry, no brackt pics. I sed 1/4" plate in the front and 1/2" int he rear.. When I redo them, they will both be 1/2" plate..

Try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockstomper.com>www.rockstomper.com</a> they have a nice hinge for sale and may have a ltch. Also check [ur]www/4wd.com[/url] There rear tire carriers have nice latches and they may ave a pic of them.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I am about to make a new front bumper, and I will be cutting slots through the bumper. I will have tabs on the end of the frame members that will extend through the slots in the front piece. These will be clevis points that hook directly to the frame so my bumper won't get bent.

Also, don't weld your bumper on. You will have to cut the frame to get it off, and if the weld quality is not excellent you run the risk of it getting snatched off.
    Bolt it on with 1/2" Grade 8's.

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

12. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that is exactly what I want to do. How will you cut the slots in the bumper? Will you be using rectangular tubing, and if so, what size? I was planning on using 2X6 with either 1/8 or 1/4" thickness. Do you think I can get by using 1/8"? Also, will you be taking pictures?[​IMG]

13. DuneRunner

Hey Big Tex did you get the picts that I sent you of my rear bumper?

Just wondering.....

KEN

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Stick with the 2x6x1/4".Thats what I have .You can Hilift on it and hit rocks and not have to worry about it bending.I used 1/4" on the brackets and its bolted to the frame.I also put recievers front and rear.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

15. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Sweet!!! Thanks, Ken. That really does help!

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I basicly made a box around the frame horns to stiffen them up. Where ever possible I bolted through original holes. The sides of the box section is 3/4 plate and they bolt dirrectly to the frame. They have the clevis holes in them. Bolted on with 5/8 Grade 8 bolts. The winch deck on the front bumper is made out of 1/4 plate. The ends of the bumpers are 4x4 inch box welded to the 3/4 plate. No cutting of the horns was needed and they fit up tight to the body. they sick out about 1 inch (not counting the clevis points) farther than the stock bumper. The rear center box is 3/16 plate since it is not supporting the winch.
    Link in my sig. A few pictures in there.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm about to do mine and here's what they'll be like. I'm going to box in the frame horns and then bolt to this section on both ends. Front will be easy, but rear will be a pita due to my shortened overhang so it may get welded on. Reciever tube welded thru the bumper both ends. Clevis hangar on one side welded thru the bumper by cutting slots, running the hangar thru, then stitching it up on both sides. D ring shackle on the other side both ends also welded through the bumper. Front end will retain winch options for the future with minor mods. Both bumpers will be about 4" wider than frame width cause body damage is a non factor to me, tire contact is much more important. so to answer your questions:

no, and I wouldn't know.

I will after this weekend.

I will and the rear is big time modified anyway.

Doesn't matter much once you're past the spring hangars, do you want to ever take them off??

In about 5 days i will.

No swing away carrier, I'm going hella custom

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really appreciate any input.

No prob, I doubt this helped much though, my brackets will probably be a lot different than yours, but basic design may help. I'll get the pics up asap.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

18. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

4. Are they best bolted or welded?

I'm 19 and jsut finished the auto. tech. program in college. My welding instuctor told me to bolt my bumper rather than weld it cause the heat from welding it to the frame will create a weak spot in the frame where it will be more likely to crack. Only hear say but this instructor was pretty intelligent, only advice for what ever it may be worth!!!

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

19. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

You can weld the piss out of your frame and not weaken it, just don't weld forever, run a bead for a inch or so, let it cool and contiune. I welded a 4" 1/4 thick angle iron brace all the way across the front horns of the frame then , bolted the bumper to that, on the rear I cut the frame sguare off, then weld a 1/4 thick plate to it and bolted the bumper to that...I've pulled countless people free with it on both ends. and been pulled by the same.

L8r
    Still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

20. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Sorry man, I was just stateing what my instructor told me, thank you for correcting me though!!! I love to be critisized,seriously.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com