Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for you LAW MEN

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DangerB, Mar 30, 2000.

1. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

DepDog, Moose and all other peace officers. Lets say you are not a 4x4 fanatic. And you see a SCARY looking BLAZER painted with either white urban camo or blue tiger camo, are you going to look for a reason to hassle me? I realize its kind of obnoxious. Just wondering before I do it if I am making myself a target.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

2. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

lets say your not a fanatic and you see a big blazer shined up clean, but rumbly due to glasspacks. am i a target?

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

well, i'm not a cop, but i've dealt with them ALOT.
    anytime you do something to attract attention, you attract attention. that means cops as well as chicks. the chicks dig the long hair, but the cops see a hippie. chicks dig motorcycles, cops know that alot of motorcyclists do dumb things, and they'll watch the ones with loud paint jobs more than the guy with the stock urban commute bike.
    same thing with trucks. the camo will attract attention, no doubt. but drive it safe and sane, and the cops will just notice you, and then go bust the idiot in the stock sport 'ute that just ran a red light while watching the cop watch you.

btw, there's a blazer just outside of brentwood that has the white and grey camo goin' on. i think it looks pretty cool.
    but thats coming from a hippie biker, doncha know.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HAHAHa
    you crack me up Delta....must be thoes fumes up there in Brentwood. [​IMG]
    My rigs paint is well...Fugly and dented so I may just adventure the thought of doing this and if I don't like it well then flat black primer it will be.....
    later
    Burt4x4

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Here is a quick question, if a cop is in front of you, and doesn't take off quick enough at a light and you decide to drive over him, does THAT make you a target?

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

it all depends on your attitude!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I find that most often cops like cars and trucks as much as the next guy..... I mean, think about it, do you know any cops with Harleys or classic cars or lifted 4x4 for that matter ? I do. I own a 1965 Impala ss and a 1982 K5 Blazer 4x4 that turn quite a few heads while I'm cruisin' around town. Most likely some of those people are going to people in law enforcement. They don't bother me unless I'm doing something I shouldn't be. Hell, I've been pulled over by cops just so they could look at my vehicle and ask questions about the things I've done to them. Sure there's some Bufford T Pusser's out there but in the most part they're auto enthusiasts too. But that's just my 2 cents.
    l8r,
    Riz

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

That's not a fair question. I realize that nobody likes to be pulled over, but law enforcement doesn't look to "hassle" any body. We have a job to do, and unfortunately, that can be a pain to most people. That being said, anything that stands apart from the "ordinary" will get my attention. If you happen to be doing something illegal while you attract my attention, you very well could get "hassled". Having said that, I do know what you meant. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

As far as your camo paint job goes, make sure it doesn't interfere with any of your lights, turn signals, windshield, etc. and there shouldn't be a problem. It's not like you'll be totally stealth and have people run into you because you're not seen. You will stand out more, esp. when you're moving.

Personally, I do notice every Blazer and most any classic car or motorcycle just because that's what I like. If I happen to pull someone over in a Blazer, I let them know it's a nice ride.

BTW, I used to have a '77 4x4 shortbed with a came job that resembled real tree. Man, you couldn't see it if I was in the woods.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you dont post the pics of the 36's with no lift, hell yes I am going to hassle you.

On the serious side, it all depends on the officer, there are assholes amoung us and that includes officers of the law. Dont matter what you drive, if they want to stop you, they will find a reason, where do you think weaving over the road way came from anyhow. Its a catch all.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not a cop either but I'd just like to throw my support behind them as well. My neighbor is a cop and they don't come any better. He's just another person like you or me with likes and dislikes. If anything, my neighbor is the kind of cop you want to have following you. He gives a generous margin (like most around here do) in terms of following the letter of the law on the roads and if he does pull you over, you more than deserve it! I used to be somewhat paranoid of the cops too years ago but like others have said, I've gotten to know quite a few as people, not just cops, and like Dep said, MOST are good people and good friends.

I'll get off the soapbox now and go back to work!

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I know Dep...He's yanking your chain! LOL Just joking. He pulls over 4x4's to see how they put it together and get people to go ride with! Most of the officers I know are pretty good people. There are a few that are idiots and on power trips but like I said FEW. If your vehicle looks in compliance then you have nothing to worry about. Your vehicle has bumpers hanging by a tread and busted lights...YOU DESERVE TO GET PULLED! Squashed car count on the door doesn't help.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

12. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that Goose. I agree with Ya'll and Im happy to hear everyone backup what I was thinking. I have known plenty of cops that were great guys. I am just a little gunshy because I live in the 1st or 2nd? fastest growing small town in the country. I have gotten 2 no seatbelt tickets in 6 mos. so you can imagin there are some real cowboys. But I got to be myself. I think Ill wait till its not so much of a driver. And DEP, I know you dont believe me so I snapped a couple shots of the 36x14.5's and stock springs before lifting her 4" and cutting a couple more lbs. of sheetmetal off. Im going prerunner look, just have to make new bumpers.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

13. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

well c'mon!! lets see em!!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy running 36's and no lift, even if no one has ever actually seen it!! (kidding!)

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dep, Goose, and other law officers: How about if you saw a lifted Blazer with Historic tags driving around town all the time, like a daily driver. That's the kind of tags I got on my 75'. No trouble so far(knock on wood), but I do get nervous everytime I drive pass a cop. I use my rig as a daily driver. Would yall, or any cop yall know give me some trouble for that?
    Boss

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey DB, I really dig the urban camo, like the black/bright blue/silver theme. But how the heck do you spray that? Do you actually tape it off? Not too sure I want to do that much work to mine. Or just paint one of them solid and spray outta rattle can? It would be fuzzy at the blend lines then though. Fill me in bro, I know nothing about paint work...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

16. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Cops are out there to pay attention to everyone. Some people draw more of there attention than others. They are there to enforce the Law. They do not make them. For the most part Cops will not pull you over unless you give them a reason. If your truck is camo, with a nasty loud sounding muffler, a loud a@@ stereo, lifted to high heaven, with light all over it you will draw not only the Cops attention but everyone elses. If your not doing something stupid you wont have a problem.

17. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

As long as your Historic tags are current and up to date with the DMV, you dont have any problems. We have Antique car tags here in GA. Wildlife tags, and even some Olympic tags left over. There are also to many College tags and Purple Heart tags, and P.O.W. tags and Fire Dept tags, there are way to many to keep up with.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

18. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

DangerB, no offense taken. I've been working the bar crowds too much. There's always some drunk trying to get you to admit to something that you've never done, should have known you guys didn't intend that.

As far as the historic tags, I agree w/Depdog. As long as the DMV says its OK, its OK. In KS we don't have quite as many diff. types of tags and I can usually keep track of them. The only "historic" tags are for antique vehicles, which KS defines as over 35yrs old. Since I would know your Blazer isn't 35yrs old, you'd get stopped...in KS. (For puting a KS antique tag on your under 35yr old Blazer)

Goose

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

"If you can't do the time, that don't do the crime. DON'T DO IT". As long as you are not breaking any laws, most cops will leave you alone. Just check out your local laws and don't be afraid to stop and as a cop how he inturpets the laws that may pertain to your vehical. It works out great. When I first got my K-5 7 years ago I asked a cop about the law for Mud Flaps on lifted vehical in the state of AZ. He said the law says that any "truck" that's been lifted from stock factory shall have mud flaps, Since are K-5's aren't trucks no mud flaps have been on it for 7 years! Thank god that that the State said it the way they did. No Mud flaps for any K-5 in my eyes

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

20. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Only reason I might stop you would be to ask about techniques used in paint job or other upgrades, so I can copy them on mine. Thinking about neon green on mine. Ok maybe a litlle obnoxious