Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for you painters

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rrent, Apr 11, 2003.

1. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

greeting all, as some of you know I'm getting ready to paint my '72 -- I went today and got the brightest yellow paint I could find. I've sprayed before -- even did the complete interior of the Blazer (white) last year --- but am thnking about new paint gun -- I'm using an antique my dad used back in the '70's.

I'm wanting to get the most gun for the least money - I probably won't paint another vehicle for a year of more -- so a high dollar gun wouldn't get enough use to justify the expense.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so you want to do this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

TONYP - yep, I'm still looking like the first photo -- with another day's worth of work (at least)---- looks like I have a bunch more trim and previously installed mirror holes to deal with, than you did ----- then I'll be installing a black Bestop and saving my pennies for a new pair of chrome bumpers.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Sharp, it is a pretty good gun.. You can shoot with it at almost any angle and it will NOT drip.....

John

5. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

the thing with guns is, you get what you pay for, just like anything else. you can get an acceptable paintjob out of an el cheapo gun from harbor freight or off of ebay, but that acceptability will come from a ton more work than if you just bought a decent gun. The ton of work will be the wet sanding, compounding, and buffing to fix all the peel and the runs/sags from the crappy gun. You can get a decent devilbiss HVLP gun for around 200 bucks (and others make good stuff in that proce range, too. Go ahead and get one, it's still a lot cheaper than payiing someone to paint your ride for you. BTW, By federal law, all guns are now hvlp, so put away that old siphon thing you have. Just my 2 cents.
    Ernest

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

So, for the uninitiated... whats HVLP?

Tony - Good looking job!

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

High volume low pressure.

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

if you can get a non hvlp gravity gun get it. the hvlp takes a little more practice for a novice. the non hvlp is a little more forgiving. i paint for two shops and can tell a difference between the two. we use star guns mainly

10. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

2 stage paint?
    if so, HVLP gun for the paint, then You'll need an old suction gun for clearcoating, crank the pressure up to 35 lbs. at the gun, trigger open. Lay's down a very smooth finish. Practice first on say the glovebox lid. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

HVLP actually will aply more paint more efficiently... A high pressure gun will waste a lot of paint (overspray; atomizing and floating around in the air you breath) If you are using harderner in your paint, definetly go with HVLP, you will live longer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif