Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for you welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy737, Sep 2, 2002.

1. chevy737

chevy737 Registered Member

Just a quick question. I bought a welder recently and beginning to learn. One of my 'winter projects' is going to be building an enclosed trailer. Anyway my question, are those auto-darkening helmets worth the extra cash. I see some on E-bay but I'm not too familiar with the brands. I want to build my trailer right, and figured this may help with the welding work. What do you guys think? What are some decent brands without blowing a weeks pay?

Thanks,
    chevy737

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I think a regular light weight helmet is fine for the job. I've been in the trade for 15 years now and can count on one hand the number of guys I've worked with that have the auto-darkening helmets. Most are so sensitive that the overhead lights in the shop set em off...or someone lighting a torch nearby.

About the only thing they are handy for is when you are tacking down grating or something similar. The repeated lifting and dropping the helmet over a short period of time is annoying. This is not something the average do-it-yourselfer will run across at home though.

My two cents...save the cash for some project steel.

Rene

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Last I looked they have a .01 second delay before darkening. So if you dont close your eyes before you strike you'll get 1 second of UV for every 100 times you strike an arc... The only way I can see they are worth it is when you have to put your head in a tight place and have to put on the helmet before positioning....

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

us do it yourselfers really suck at flippin the hat and still holding our aim at the project true.
    not me of course I am a natural, jus talkin about , ya know, 'them'
    really not me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have one and I love it. It makes it so much easier to hit the mark the 1st time. I got the helmet at Harbor freight on sale for like $75.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I have a Hobart Hood. It is light and the adjustments for darkening the lense are on the outside. I actually like that better. If you need to move it around while you are working, just reach over with your left hand.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I like them. But I don't weld around anyone with a torch. I paid too much for mine from Snap-On when they first came out. If you are a klutz you will be pissed when you drop it. You should get an adjustable darkness unit if you arc and mig.

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well I'm no pro. That's why I dropped some coin to get a cheap auto-darkening helmet. Got mine for only $65.00 off E-Bay. Makes it alot easier for novice rod burner like me to start a bead. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif And I can focus more on what my welds are doing.

10. chevy737

11. chevy737

Thanks for the input

Thanks guys. I think I might drop money and get one. Hopefully it will help the learning curve and I'll get some decent welds out of it.

chevy737

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

They are pretty cool, but I like the regular ones. They survive the trip acorss the driveway better when I'm frustrated. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I also prefer the simple one...