Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question fro cucv guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Aug 1, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i had seen an artical on fuel useage in the army trucka and they mentioned that ALL army veicals use the same fule from humvees to 2 1/2tons to the helicopters so they could share fule if nessasary. now they said the only use a fuel call k-8 I and it was basicly karosen with a ton of sulfer.
    and thqat diesel could be used but it could cause probs with seals ect. and that most army mecanics wouldent let it be used.

so just wondering if this causes any probs with guys running surpluss trucks? or when chev made then for the goverment they just used good old diesel? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i dont know about active duty, but all we have ever used is diesel (from gas stations, even on convoys we stop and fuel up at gas stations) or when we can we use what is called JP8. what is is a mixture of i am not sure. They can also run off what is called MOGAS in emergency situations.. we dont use it if we dont have too. being that military vehicles were made by different people over a long span of time some are equiped differently. Recently i was in a vehicle, duece or 5ton i believe and saw it said multifuel, it listed the fuels it could run off of, including diesel and gasoline...among a few others. not sure how well it would run but thats what it said. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think this is why I had so much trouble with the 6.2 in my truck. It wasn't long after I bought it that we had to replace the injection pump. Also had to replace all the injectors. The truck only had 45,000 miles on it. Course who knows how many hours.

The diesel mechanic we took the truck to said that he knew he would never run out of surplus 6.2s and 6.5s to work on as because the military kept using things other than diesel.

The sulfur is good for the diesel, which is why it is bad that all the new changes in diesel formulation are coming out. A lot of people recommend using additives.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

so it is afecting guys, i was thinking that would suck if ya sent all this money on a cucv and got it as your rig not just to part out and you start going through seals and moters.

i could see a truck that would run on all sortsa fule, however roughly thats cool if your stuck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On the Marine side of the house we use either JP 8 or JP 5. I recently converted a fleet (56) from running this to staright diesel due to its location in the world. Just changed out the fuel filters and adjusted the black boxes with the programmer from work.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

JP8 and JP5 are different grades of airplane fuel. Its not as refined as what you would put in your truck, and whenever we had to run it, it made our trucks run a little rougher, but they ran. I can see how it would cause problems if thats all the truck saw.

Kris

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

We ran Diesel in our unit up until we converted over to MLRS, then they started using JP8.

The problem we ran into was that it(JP8) actually began to eat the fule line (rubber) from the inside out. I guess it had something to do with the old fuel mixing with the JP8 in the lines (what ever had been absorbed into the rubber) We had to replace a lot of fuel ines, filters. . . for the fist few months. Once the old rubber lines, seals were replaced there were no more problems.