Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question from a noob

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76bronco, Jan 9, 2004.

1. 76bronco

76bronco Registered Member

first off id like to say hello from oklahoma chitty, there are a few people i know that visit this site and even though im not a chevy owner i still come over once in a while and must say there is quite a lot of info to be had here.

well now here comes my question. my dad has a mid 80s chevy 4 door p/u with a 454 set up to run off propane... gotta love that 4 to 6 mpg heh. anyway it seems that his truck is haunted by ghosts with a sense of humor. at any time (even if in the off position) his wipers will come on when they get tired of laying in the off position for too long. i was thinking it had to be a short somewhere but none of the wires have breaks in them or bare spots. well im out of ideas and i figured no better place to go for help than to a chevy forum. what do you guys think the fix is.... short of an exorcism? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Those tires really that good, Jeffe /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Possibly look for a bare wire at the connections. Oh yeah, welcome to the best site on the web /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

3. 76bronco

you mean the connections at the switch itself? the switch has been replaced and im ALMOST certain the connections were ok or he would have said something about it. now the connections on the motor side havent been checked real well but they did have a brief look over

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The problem might be in the motor switching itself. Its when you turn off your wipers and they go into the park position. The connection is loose and its causing it to hunt for the park position again. You can pull the wiper motor housing and open everyting up and give it a good cleaning and look over. That might do it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah clean all the connections at the plugs at the motor and at the switch, and if that doesnt do it then test the switch, it is probably worn out, if its an 84-up then a wire from the switch might be worn and touching metal in the column, wipers are run from variable ground

good luck

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The park mechanism at the top of the wiper motor gets corroded and dirty inside over time...which causes the wipers to randomly try to re-park themselves. You might be able to clean it up some...IIRC it's just a simple plastic cover that needs removing to gain access to the park mechanism.

My wife used to call my truck "Christine" when I first got it...on a long drive the wipers would make one sweep every 5-10 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

7. 76bronco

[ QUOTE ]

My wife used to call my truck "Christine" when I first got it...on a long drive the wipers would make one sweep every 5-10 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] that sounds exactly like my dads except his is more than one sweep it keeps going until he turn the wipers on high and then back off. i will metnion to him what you guys have said and ill let you know what he finds out

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my take on it...

plastic 'cam' like item, with worn or broken teeth, related to the w/s washer pump cycling of the wipers
    mechanical not electrical problem
    chev sells a kit to repair that problem
    if required, I can dig through my reciepts to find the part number

[​IMG]

GM PART # 22071780
    CATEGORY: Windshield Washer Pump
    PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $77.08
    OUR PRICE: $38.54
    DESCRIPTION: PUMP.WSW

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Mine do that sometimes other times they dont, Ive got worse problems so I dont even worry about, although my windsheild washer only works when it wants to also, so im gonna guess my switch needs to be replaced.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I know the stock washer pump on the older Blazers is a mechanical whatcha ma thingy integrated into the wiper motor. If you get a new one it will be electronic and bypass all that. Costs like 30-35 at Napa for a replacement.

11. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

AHHH another OKC victim, welcome to the board. You aren't another one of those non-wheeling, my sh*t sits in the driveway because I like to say I own a 4x4, cough cough, JOHN AND MICHAEL cough cough, guys are you? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Since you live by John, get on his ass about getting his [darn] fixed, I need to do some wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

On the qouestion, it is probably the switch in the column, GM's are bad about the switch going south, my '86 K10 I had, I kept the wipers unplugged until it rained because they came on when I turned on the signals /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Krennen

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my sh*t sits in the driveway because I like to say I own a 4x4, cough cough, JOHN AND MICHAEL cough cough,

[/ QUOTE ]
    blah, blah, blah did you say something? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Lets not even start about all the ridiculous deals you have managed to fall into to get your truck put together /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Yes Krennan, we are going wheeling soon, very soon, but I'll just embarrass you like last time /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

13. 76bronco

thanks for all the replies all. i told my dad and he said he would look at it and let me know what he finds.

as far as do i wheel my piece? its not ready for any hard wheeling and it will probably be spring time before i get it somewhat ready. the big thing holding me back is im waiting on my interest free loan to be paid back to me from the government... also known as income tax... but at least its driveable i suppose,