Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question - I wanna start mounting and balancing my own tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 22, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Tire mounting and balancing is getting pretty expensive these days, I was thinking of trying to do it myself. I've found 2 balancing systems that use beads.

Equal http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/index.aspx
    and
    Dyna Beads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/service.htm

Both systems seem relativly inexpensive. You can install the beads while mounting the tire so you don't need expensive applicators.

My question is, how would I go about mounting and balancing a tire? I'm not planning on purchasing a pnumtic machine like at the tire shops (well, not unless I can find one real cheap!).

How do you do it?
    What tools do I need and where can I get them?
    Is it difficult?
    How hard is it to seat the bead? I do have a large 5 HP compressor.
    Is this a waste of time? I don't want to spend an entire afternoon mounting tires for my dually and then have to see my chiropractor ther next day.

Anyone ever use one of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Speedway-Series-Portable-Tire-Changer-05093_W0QQitemZ4623243719QQcategoryZ63699QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

Eric M.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Get a tire spoon and a big ratchet strap. I mounted one in the other night, in the mud, with a 4 way and some carb cleaner.

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe things are different in CA, but around here in CO, mounting/balancing is like $10 a tire. To me it's worth it if you've ever tried to mount a big tire on a rim manually. Heck even with an old school machine it's a pain.

Balancing on a big tire could be cut out if you use an in the tire method over rim wieghts. Might do some searching on the balancing stuff, but from what I've seen on here, the equal is not as desirable for two reasons. The requirement of filtered valve stems (so you don't loose it when you air down) and the potential for clumping if you introduce moist air into the tire. Dyna beads are better because they are larger and should not clump as bad if at all, no filter's needed either. Airsoft BB's are another choice too.

If you are willing to wrestle 4 tires in an afternoon to mount them, more power to you. I'm lazy and only have one truck to worry about so the expence in the tire spoons isn't worth it if I plan on keeping my tires a long time. Still could save the $5 a tire for balancing and put it to doing the balancing at home in the tire.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Eric M, Innovative Balancing say you need 10 oz per tire at $12.10 of Dyna Beads or 10 oz per tire $12.35 EZ Open Bag™ per tire. Is this for a DD? Then maybe! IF your talking about a rock crawler. one sharpe rock, say good by to your beads!.... Buy some more...

As far as mounting the tires a couple of spoons, armerall or soapy water to make it slide easier some time, valve core tool, cheeta air tank (making it easier to seat the beadwithout having to light a match)....

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That Ebay thing is the same as the HF unit, 'bout the same $$ when the one is one sale ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

It *has* to be fastened down to get good leverage, but once you get into the swing of it it's doable.

I think mount&balance is only like $10-15 out here, donno how it is on your side of the Bay, but I'm fine with paying somebdy most of the time.

-- A

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

4WPW wants $120 for all 6 tires on the dually. Every time I go there I have a problem, they put the wrong weights on and they are knocked off by the caliper, 3 black walls out and 1 white wall, decided that Equal wasn't the best way to go and used weights, static balanced instead of dynamic. They will usually take care of it, but it's another trip out there.

If the tire mounting isn't that hard, I think I might give it a try. Have you ever used that Harbor Freight unit? Is it a back breaking experience? How long to dismount and mount a 33 x 12.50 or a 36 x 15 tire?

Thanks,

Eric M.

7. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

i have an old manual tire changer similar to the harbor freight one and i usulay can do a change in less then 20 minutes a wheel if evrey thing woorks right (that is un mounting the old and mounting the new)

you may want to make sure it will handle the back spacing of a dulley wheel

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Good point. I have custom rims on 2 of the trucks with some crazy offset. Do you think the unit could be modified to accept different offsets? Cut / fab / weld work?

I could live with 20 min. a tire. All my rims are powder coated, does this method tend to ding or scratch the rim more so than the professional machines?

Thanks,

Eric M.

9. dremu

Well, for god's sake, 4WPW sucks, we know this. Don't you have Big-O or something over there? :)

-- A

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yeah,

I have found someone else, but, they don't do Equal. I really like this stuff, it works great in my 35 x 14.50 swampers. My 33" BFGs need to be rebalanced so often, I really want to start using Equal in them as well, but, 4WPW won't put Equal in 33s even thought Equal lists tires that small on their site.
    Sometimes if you want something done right (or what I think is right!) you gotta do it yourself.

Eric M.

11. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

I have the inovative balancing beads on my rig using them inside my 44's. and they work great I can run from 0-70 I feel absolutly no vibratiion or shimmy at all and that's with super swampers.

as fro mounting like a bunch of others here have said...tires spoons (same as a dirt bike tire spoon), soapy water, and your good that's all I used to mount my 44's on 15 inch rims work great. when airing them up wrap a rachet strap around the diameter of the tire rachet it down to buldge out the bead of the tire to the rims edge and fill with air as long as you have enough lube around the bead they will set.

good luck

12. dremu

Oh oh oh. Makes sense then. 4WPW is, as we know, the antichrist reincarnate :D

-- A

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Aaron,

Do you own or have you used one of those Harbor Freight tire changers? How hard is it and can it be modified for using with a DEEEEEEP offset dually wheel?

Eric M.

14. dremu

Yup, I have one. I've only dismounted a coupla tires with it, junk tires I was tossing. I have not yet permanently mounted it to the garage floor, which is terminally stupid on my part. It is freaking impossible unless you do so. (Too many projects...)

Anyway, seems to me like you could just flip the thing dish side up and be good with it, so the depth shouldn't matter. I did one of the regular dually wheels, like the one I got from you, on it no worries.

-- A

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

16. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

17. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I use the HF one for my atv tires. Its alright, we mounted ours on a pallette, Works great and is portable. I never tried taking off car/truck tires with it. I do have some red paint from it on my atv rims so may want to be careful.