Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question... if i lift my chevy 6" will i have driveshaft prob?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 89chevy, May 22, 2002.

1. 89chevy

89chevy Registered Member

Question... if i lift my chevy 6\" will i have driveshaft prob?

my 89 chevy is lifted 3" right now and i will be soon adding 6" lift to in and adding my new 36" tsl tires on... will i have drive shaft trouble or u joint trouble? if i will please tell me what i can do to prevent it... i am also adding my 14 bolt ff rear axle and dana 44 front.
    thanks Alot
    Zack

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: Question... if i lift my chevy 6\" will i have driveshaft prob?

When I lifted my 89 6" and added the 14bff I did not do anything to the driveshaft other than the conversion u-joint. I did not have any problems. The front shaft you will have to grind the stops off and also have the exhaust redone so the driveshaft doesn't bind on it. Now, when do you want me to fix your steering column?

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

With my 6'' lift (4'' shackle flip and 1 3/4'' blocks on back) I lowered my T-case 1'' and the pinion was already shimmed up from the shackle flip. It only vibrates when I go over 60, but even that is minimal. Length was not an issue. If you wanna eliminate vibration altogether and not have to lower your T-case, you can just get a c/v shaft, it is the next thing on my list.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, everyone else pretty much lined it out here. You may have to lengthen the front but otherwise you'll be fine. If you re-do the driveshafts, you can use the actual measurements from your truck but stock shafts will definitely get you started.