Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on 10 Bolt Front Axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 24, 2002.

I know this topic has been beaten quite a bit but I have been thinking. I spent 9 hours yesterday doing wheel bearings, races, new ball joints etc up front on my 10 Bolt front. After all this work and money I am strongly considering keeping my axle instead of going to a Dana 60. I am never gonna go bigger then a 38" tire and probably never have more then 350hp. I want to put a detroit up front with warn shafts. How well will this axle hold up? I do all trails and want to start doing rocks. It's a 3/4 ton 10 bolt if that makes a difference. What else can I do to make it stronger? Thanks for all the info. Later -80K20

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    38" tire and probably never have more then 350hp.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is not a recipe for a survivable 10 bolt front end...especially if you want to start playing in the rocks. You could try using CTM joints up front with Chro-mo shafts. Honestly though for what you'll spend on the 10 bolt to live you could have bought a D60 and got on with your life.

My two cents...

Rene

2. Tweeder

Tweeder Newbie

My brother ran his stock axles at moses lake this year and had no probs but that was also just sand. If you are staying just on trails without rocks and very little mud most likely it should hold up ok. But if you are thinking of rock crawling and maybe even mudd'n then i would go to a dana 60. At first it will cost more but in the long run it will be cheaper. Plus dana 60's are bad ass.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Plus dana 60's are bad ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I did the same upgrades to my D44 (except a Power-Lock instead of Detroit) and started breaking ring gears and lots of u-joints. I was running 38s also. You're going to have to go to the 60 if you want it to be reliable. If you really want to use it then use the CTM joints and the Warn fuses in your hubs. The fuses *should* go before anything else after all of the upgrades, and they are cheap and easy to replace. </font color>

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I understand the desire to keep your 10 bolt since you've put time and money into it.
    I've done some work to my 10 bolt front and it has not been cheap, easy, or quick.
    But when I find a Dana 60 for a decent price, I'm going to swap it in.
    It's liek the guys that buy expensive 6-lug rims but keep breaking thier 6-lug axles. Just suck it up and go 8-lug.
    Since I've obviously gone on a tangent, just let me say - quit spending money on your 10-bolt. Unoless you break it or you need to replace worn out balljoints or something, quit spending money on it. Yeah, it'll kind of suck having an open front but when you find a d 60 you canj ustify spending the money for it.
    -- Mike

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    My truck was a open 10 bolt and I never broke it with 38.5's but I also could not get on it at all for the fear of breaking it. It really doesn't take much to snap it. One good hoop and "POP" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I too spent a lot of money on my 10B to keep them from breaking but it's still money down the drain (unless someone wants to buy my old one? hehe /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) anyway, a D60 will give you a lot of peice of mind on the trail and you won't need to keep as many spare parts in the back. It sure feels good to give it a little gas to get over something. Build it for dependability and you won't be suck on a trail fixing it while everyone else is sitting down for a cold one. Oh, and locking it will also help it snap. Open is more forgiving.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

DUDE lose the 10 bolt . i run 35mt/rs on mine with ORD WARN?
    shafts regular u joints and warn prems with fuses and an ARB with NO AIR so its OPEN and my trusty 16,000 mile crate 305 with an edelbrock intake and duals with an H pipe and my k10 is pretty light , ive busted a u joint ,hub fuse ,trans &lt;somehow,dono&gt; , t-case tailhousing , all AT once . GO big!! or imho you will be wasting money . i like my truck like it is works fine for almost everything i point it at ONLY if i stick with 35's or MAYBE 36s. "This is my 10cents , my 2 cents is free"

-done blathering. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif