Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on 2.5" Lift and Handling/Comfort Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Question on 2.5\" Lift and Handling/Comfort Issues

I have a 1987 K5. I think it already has a 2.5 lift on it, but the front springs are not positively arched. I'm running 33" tires with no problems.

A friend told me that if I put new springs on it, even if I stayed with the 2.5" lift, it would help the ride comfort and handling some, since the new springs would have a positve arch to them.

Any truth to this? I like the way my truck is now, and really have no need for a bigger lift than what I have...but if my springs are worn out and it would help the comfort factor, I'm all for it.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Question on 2.5\" Lift and Handling/Comfort Issues

My 79 has a 2.5" lift and the front springs look flat. the bottom leaf is just really thick is all. I will take pics tomorrow and post them for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The new springs will come with new bushings, and the combination will improve the ride quality. That is only if you purchase the correct set of springs. Spring rates vary greatly by manufacturer - one 2.5" lift will ride fine, another will ride like a wooden wagon.

I really like my Tough Country 4" set up, night and day compared with the old set up. Your tires and shocks also have a big influence on the ride quality also....

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I have 2.5" Superlift Softrides on the front of mine with pretty soft shocks. The springs are perfectly flat, no real upward arch. It rides very smooth, and almost too soft on the cornering aspect on the street. Much smoother than stock.

5. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    My 79 has a 2.5" lift and the front springs look flat. the bottom leaf is just really thick is all. I will take pics tomorrow and post them for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah,that's how mine is..Flat /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the way my truck is now, and really have no need for a bigger lift than what I have...but if my springs are worn out and it would help the comfort factor, I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hard to help ya... you say you're happy with the way the rig is now but you're "all for" changing the way it is. makes me a little /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Having a lil negative arch isnt uncommon as others have noted, if you like the way it rides now I'd just leave it. If you feel like messing with it a little, you might try some new greasable bushings (ord!) or maybe even some ORD HD front shackles (again, with greaseable bushings).

i guess the problem Im having is that without some kind of specific complaint its hard to offer useful advice. not trying to be a punk... just need more info to try and help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

2.5" lifts ride the best in my opinion. this is how i think chevys should have rolled off the assembly line. i've had trucks from no lift to 6" of lift and the 2 rigs i had with 2.5" lift both rode and handled the best on the street and looked real nice with 33s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like the way my truck is now, and really have no need for a bigger lift than what I have...but if my springs are worn out and it would help the comfort factor, I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hard to help ya... you say you're happy with the way the rig is now but you're "all for" changing the way it is. makes me a little /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Having a lil negative arch isnt uncommon as others have noted, if you like the way it rides now I'd just leave it. If you feel like messing with it a little, you might try some new greasable bushings (ord!) or maybe even some ORD HD front shackles (again, with greaseable bushings).

i guess the problem Im having is that without some kind of specific complaint its hard to offer useful advice. not trying to be a punk... just need more info to try and help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

reason I said "I like the way my truck is now", I didn't want to hear 30 people tell me to go ahead and lift it 4". It's about the right height for me, and I don't really do any wheeling (it's daily driver/hunting truck), so I don't want to do any bigger than the 33"'s on it.

Thing is, when I hit a bump (like when crossing a bridge on the highway) it feels like a ran over a speedbump too fast or something, and my handling is less than desirable. I know I need new shocks too, and am trying to get in my head what all I might need to rebuild the front end too. I thought if it might also help things, I'd throw some new leaf springs front & back too (main reason I was thinking that was that dude told me I should have had a positive arch on them, and said they were worn out)