Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on A/C for 84 chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az84chevy, Jul 2, 2005.

1. az84chevy

az84chevy Registered Member

I have a 1984 chevrolet with 350. Just recently got the a/c working. I'm using freeze 12 now and it seems to be coming out cold. I need to know how much r/12 or freeze 12 it took it took when you guys filled your systems. I've put 2 cans (24 ounces) in so far and am wondering whether or not i should add a third. Reason i am not sure is because i dont have a high pressure line hookup.

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this and thanks for the information.

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

How did you evacuate the system w/o a manifold valve and vacuum gauge... :dunno:

Anyway, there is a sight glass in the top of the dryer, if ya can't see it then ya need to scrape the black paint of the top of the glass.....add freon (r12) until the bubbles are gone then come on in, It's air-conditioned :cool1:

3. az84chevy

I do have the vacuum gauge, just dont have the connector for the high side of the system. Also no window on the dryer. Do you remember how much you put in when you did it?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I filled mine until I saw 35 on the low side ( with my r12 gauges ) without the compressor cycling anymore at 1500 rpm .

5. az84chevy

Yup mine is at 35 on the low side. So did you put in only 2 cans also?

6. pauly383

No , I used R414 , by Whirlpool ( generic term is HotShot ) .
    Mine used 4 10 oz cans , 2 lbs 8 oz .

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, thats what i used last year, now i have to replace my compressor :rolleyes: after replacing everything else, noticed all my rubber seals were deteriorating more so than with the regular r-12 or r-134.

I heard that freon replacement is know for doing this to the seals and rubber components in the system,,,but i wanted ac real bad at the time.

Now,,,why it's 280 degrees outside lately, i don't have it cause a seal on the compressor blew out.

OH WELL,,,nuther $200 or added to the system.

8. pauly383

No , myth , does not eat seals up , its just that replacement seals are NOTHING like the originals ....... and you hafta look at the gauges when charging , don't just drop it in and feel for cold . Charge watching pressures , and let it equalize . I have my original hose that got old , seals look like new , and are kinda like a timing cover seal as opposed to o-rings like on replacement hoses and compressors :D

Just call me tonight dude , we can argue about it again , its fun having you for a best friend :wink1: