Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on a starter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlaznRebel, Nov 2, 2002.

1. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

OK i have built a 383 stroker and put it in but the starter for some reason will not mesh with the flexplate correctly. Does anyone know what i might have to get to solve this? Or has anyone had this problem before? Thnx any help would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

When you not meshing correctly do you mean it makes noise when you start it?
    If thats the case you mite need to shim the starter down you can get the shims at the parts store, If you have a Chilton you mite find the rest of the info in there, My Haynes didn't have anything on it but my Chilton did.

Eric

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

it might be the tooth count on the starter? isn't the flexplate on your 383 a 400 sb flexplate? also, there is a possibilty that you might need to shim the starter (what Highlander said). if i'm correct, there should be a gap of 1/8" between the bendix and the flexplate, i just used a drill bit to check it. if you don't get your answer here on this site, you might want to ask here (dealer board).

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Discus/board.html
    "Post Your Questions and Answers Here"