Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Dec 12, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if i swaped in 3/4 ton axls..would i have to change it to a 3/4 ton suspension? or could i just leave the 1/2 ton springs? ill be putting in a 4" lift kit though..so would i go for the 3/4 springs right?

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The only reason you would want tthe 3/4 ton springs is if you want to haul 3/4 ton weight or pull with it. The axle is the same except for the brake calipers and rotors. I have one ton axles and the same 1/2 ton springs I have always used.

Depdog

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

depdog.... this is just a semi broad question cause i am thinking of swapping axles in the spring for my rear.
    i want to go w. a 12bolt [not too big not to small] but i have a 10bolt in there now, what do i need to look out for besides gear ratio?
    also what do i count to and divid to check my gear ratio cause my glove box thing is worn off.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you'll probably need a hybrid u-joint but thats no biggy. The axles basically bolt right in. Sometimes thereis a difference in E-brake cables sicne the old ones has equal length and the newer ones have a driver side pull so the pass side cable from teh axles is longer. Not too hard to geta round though or just leave them off.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

You are not going to gain much strenght by doing this swap, personally I don't think it's worth it. You can check your gear ratio by turning your wheel one full turn and count how many times the drive shaft turns. If it turns a little more than 3 times you have 3.08, if it turns almost 4 times you have 3.73, if it turns a little more than 4 times you have 4.11. To make 100 % sure pull the diff. cover.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually with the 12 bolt you get a bigger ring gear, and a smaller pinion so you don't really gain in strength, now if you find a 12 bolt that has a better ratio than the one you have, that would be cheaper than regearing, but if you have to regear the 12 bolt, just stay with your 10 bolt.

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    also what do i count to and divid to check my gear ratio cause my glove box thing is worn off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ring gear will be stamped with some numbers. 2 of these numbers will be the number of teeth on the pinion and ring.

An example would be "41 11" divide 41 by 11 and you will get 3.727272.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok now back to my question...so i could just get a regular 1/2 ton lift kit...and still swap in 3/4 axls..right?

thanx guys!

9. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Yes no problem, but like said previously, go heavy if you're going to haul stuff...I've swapped lifts several times between 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton. I think it's just a matter of springload for the difference.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

only thing i will be doing is towing a boat..with a tong weight of about 125 pounds..thats about it..