Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on Drill Press speeds....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Got a 16 speed drill press, I'm going to be drilling 1/4"-1/2" holes in 3/16" angle and a couple 1/4" plates.

What type drill bit (just one in my std kit?) and at what speeds?

Anyone have a link to a tool or metal working forum for newbies like me? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Maybe we need a tool forum here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You can try this forum:
    Home Shop Machinist

You have to register to post, but these dudes are always willing to help a noob.

3. jjlaughner

thats the one I was looking for, it was posted here a while back and I forgot to book mark it! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look for HSS bits...they'll work fine and are common enough.

As for speed, just watch the chips. If the chips are blue or even a tan color the speed is too high. You should be able to apply medium pressure and still not have discolored chips. That should get your speed in the correct range. You should use some sort of coolant...even WD40 is better than nothing.

Rene

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't care for swapping the belts allot, so I've had mine set on the slowest setting for months now. Seems like that's only 150 rpm or so on mine. Works fine, no heat issues, and I'm not in a production environment so I don't really care if it takes and extra 10 seconds for a hole. And if I swap in a 1" bit or hole saw, I'm already set for speed. I'm out of drilling lubricant right now and just used 30 wt last week end. Not ideal, but it works…

6. jjlaughner

basically I'm going to be drilling alot of 1/4" holes (like 75-80) for my seat base mounts to make them adjustable.

I was thinking the other day instead of buying knotcher can I use a hole saw and my vice on the drill press to cut knotches? I have the hole saws, I'll be cutting a dozon or so 1.25-1.75" tubes.

I think the drill press is setup at 750RPM right now? I'll look today, I've only had it plugged in once and have yet to chuck anything up yet. Still digging threw the garage cleaning and orgainizing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

750 is pretty fast, especially for a hole saw.

There are ideal speeds for each size of bit and type of material. I don't have a machinists handbook, and I'm not gonna pretend I'm a machinist either...but slower is better. a 1/2" bit I typically run at 300 rpm or so depending on material. 1/4" you can go up to 700 or so, but again you should watch the color of the chips. If you see any blueing you need to slow it down.

For holesaws you have to keep them as cool as you possibly can if you want them to last. We use a water soluable coolant at work and for small jobs I keep a plastic bottle of it on hand. I try and give the work a little splash of coolant at regular intervals so the bit or holesaw stays lubed and cool.

Rene

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would get the tubing notcher and use it in the drill press. It will make the bearings in the drill press last a bunch longer!