Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on dual steering stabilizer....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Jan 6, 2003.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

getting a dual steering stabilizer tomorrow, its going to come over and in front of the tie rod, should i mount the shocks towards each other or away from each other? which would look better? and should i leave the other stabilizer in stock position or just take it off?

my K-5

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you need dual stabilizers for 35s then you have some bigger problems with the front end. Unless you're just doing it for the look, which is all well and good, except that it's just more stuff to get bashed on off-road... Mount 'em however you want, it's really personal preference, but I think that the mount style depends on the kit you get, I don't think you have your choice of styles with the same kit. Take off the stock one though, 3 stabilizers is WAY too much. </font color>

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran mine both ways and the only difference is the look. You can trash your stocker too.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here is my dual stabilizer...
    [​IMG]

It is actually designed to have the two side-by-side, but I adapted it to work end-on-end. And, yes, I did it for the appearance. It may even be for sale at the end of the month!

You do need to watch out to make sure that you don't limit your travel. By using two end-on-end, you want to center where they meet. But you also need to move the other ends as far out as possible. Otherwise when you turn one way, one of the stabilizers/shocks will bottom out and limit your travel. Make sense?

In this photo, the driver's side one could bottom out limiting my ability to turn hard right. Same for the other. And because of the factory "flare" in the tie rod for the factory stabilizer, moving the end all the way out can sometimes be easier said than done.