Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on E-brake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Jul 8, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Went over to get my 14ff today and it is out of a military 1 ton. My ? is will the e-brake setup work because the passenger side cable crosses over the pumpkin and both cables hook up on the drivers side just like under my 89 Jimmy. I looked under 3 of the trucks and they were all the same. I was always told the 14 FF rears in the 1 ton trucks the e-brake cable's go up on each side of the truck and that is why you need the backing plates from a Burb. Any input on this because I am not sure if they will work or not.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Wayne,
    I believe you are exactly right! The e-brakes are different. I put disc's on my 14BFF 'cause it was cheaper in the long run than rebuilding the stock drums.

From what I understand you must change backing plates or there are some that do some slight modification to the existing plates but not sure what.

I know this don't help much but go "DISCS"

Ron

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

waye,
    I did this on my ebrake and it worked great. I took out the top bolt on the pinion flange, made a braket similar to the one on my 10 bolt , ran the line from the passenger rear across the diff (going through fabbed braket) then back into routing of old ebrake cable system (from 10 bolt). It works better than when I had the TSM discs on my 10 bolt and I didn't have to buy any new cables (used the ones from 14 b FF) Hope this helps.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wayne, keep in mind, you CANNOT use 3/4 ton backing plates on a 1 ton rear end if you are retaining the stock drum brakes. The backing plates have a different off set to make up for the drum width. The 1 ton drum shoes are 3.5" wide, so the drum sits in more. The backing plates sit in more to make up for this. You would need to find original 1 ton backing plates. If you cant find used plates, GM can get them for you. We have been down this road before. Just the 1 ton plates are different. If you need pics, I can get them to you.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

So what you are saying Wes is that my 3/4 ton 14 ff I can use the Burb backing plates but the 1 ton I just bought I can't. Looking at it I believe with a little work I can make the 1 ton E-Brake work untill I can convert it to disc.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

6. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Wayne, That 14bolt from the military truck will have the same e-brake set-up as your 89Jimmy and will hook up without any mods.The early e-brake set-up had two short cables that bolt on the backing plates, in 83 I believe they went to the long and short push it type cables on all the rears.If I remember correctly the 14bolts cables were alittle longer than the 10bolts but it wasnt a problem in fact it helped on a lifted truck.
    RGF

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah Wayne, the 1 ton plates are in a class of their own. I was not talking about the brake cables at all on the above post. Just the fact the plates are very different when you look at a 3/4 and 1 ton.

The e-brakes for all 1 tons are in the same years as to searching for the plates as the 3/4 tons. You have a newer Blazer, meaning, you would need the 83 and newer 1 ton plates to make the stock cables work. If its the 82 and older with the equal-length cables, then you would have to make it work if you don't want to change the plates. But since you are doing disc brakes, don't worry about it. I wouldn't even worry about the e-brakes at all for now until you do the disc brakes.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>