Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on EGR valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

when in the rpm band or throttle position does the EGR valve do any thing? mine went bad today so i took the one off my parts motor and it works fine. i was just currious as to when it recirculates, and wether i can get rid of it all together?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What year is the vehicle? What engine doe's it have? What are the Emission Law's in Your State?

3. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

It does not opperate while you are idling or accelerating. So there really isn't an RPM range. It opens up when you are crusing at a constant speed, i.e. on the highway. I would keep it on, it will help lower your combustion temp. and give you a little better gas mileage. And it's really not hurting anything.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is use to lower the oxcides of nitrogen and increase gas mileage. It works by recycling exhaust gas back through the intake system, which in turn cools the combustion and reburns any unspent air/fuel mixture.

Okay, you don't need this egr, but make sure you plug the holes well, or just unplug any vacuum lines connected to it(be sure its on the closed position).

It usually comes on during highway cruising.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

thanks, i knew what they did, just didint know exactly when they do it, but i do now. mine stuck open on my and it ran like a$$. if the one i just put on sticks, its getting jammed shut and unhooked. then eventually blocked off. when i put the new motor (rebuilt original from truck) it will have every thing on it that it is supposed to, even though it will mostlikely be in the high 400 hp range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you remove it, later you'll be wondering why your engine always pings under light acceleration. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It doesn't do anything to hurt power. It closes at idle and at WOT, but it's open at part throttle to work its magic.

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Yea Jeff, I'd leave it on. After learning about what it does and how it works, it robs no power when you put the hammmah down. We have the negative backpressure type. This means that vacuum is pulled on it whenever you get the throttle off idle, but the valve will not open until enough exhaust backpressure pushes on the other side of the diaphragm inside of the valve, closing it and allowing the engine vacuum to pull the diaphragm open which will re-circulate the exhaust fumes. And of course, when you punch it, you loose vacuum and the valve closes. It keeps your cylinder temps down allowing you to have the timing where it should be or higher if your motor likes it advanced some. Take it off and I'll bet you'll get some pinging under load which is not cool. Peace man.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I bypassed mine and I get a Knock code every once in awhile and on the highway I seem to have less power so I think it is a good thing to have I will be hooking mine back up as soon as I can get one.

Dave Cowley

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you have FI you shouldn't disconnect the EGR.
    The EGR lowers combustion temp and allows more timing advance.
    Without the EGR the engine pings. pinging causes the knock sensor to tell the computer to reduce timing advance giving worse gas milage and performance at cruising speeds.
    The computer is programed to run with an EGR. disconnecting it does no good at all.