Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on front and rear outputs in a np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Are the splines the same?

Since my drivelines are the same length I was thinking of putting a flange mount on the rear output to use a cv set up and also a nice flat surface to sandwich a future e brake set up. that way I only have to have one spare.

-Jeremy

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

they CAN be.
    but you are going to have to count. normaly the rear output is 30/1? splines and the front is 10 or 12 or some low number.
    thats why i am using ford outputs. 32 splines front and rear.
    Grant

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

depends on what year 205 ya got or what kinda work has allready been done to it sounds like if you have a flange up front allready you can put a flange in the back as well as i have never seen nor heard of a 10 spline flange so i think your allready there 32 spline front and 32 spline rear
    try it and see
    and if ya need a flange mount cheep i got a few so pm me if ya want
    Randy

4. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10 spine front outputs do come with a flange and there is also a 30 spline front output as well as a 32 spline /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Right. Rear is always 32 spline. Front is usually 10 and should have a spicer CV with a yoke. If you have a sagi CV with a flange, the front output will be 30 spline. Ford 32 spline front will swap right in and is needed to have a good selection of options for joints and CV plus it is much stronger...

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think there was ever a flat flange for the 10 spline.
    If you want to match them, install the 32 spline front and use the same flange front and rear. Or you can use the 30 spl on the front and 32 on the rear. The only way you really have a problem is if you have the 10 spline, then you'll have to change the front output no matter what.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Are the splines the same?

Since my drivelines are the same length I was thinking of putting a flange mount on the rear output to use a cv set up and also a nice flat surface to sandwich a future e brake set up. that way I only have to have one spare.

-Jeremy

[/ QUOTE ]

205s all have 32-spline rears... but 10, 30 or 32 spline fronts. Seems like old 205s out of fords is the best place to find 32-spline front outputs. The swap is easy to do, I did it with a mag tech artical and absolutely no tcase experience whatsoever. Only thing I had trouble with was a big azz stuborn as hell snap ring on the shaft itself. Sucker was impossible to get off, after 2-3 hours of trying, I went to a shop and they got it off in under 5 mins... for free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif At any rate, its a good swap to do if you have the 10-spline output now. If ya got te 30, I wouldnt worry about it. In any case, the 10 spline shaft is pretty much the only weak spot in a stock 205 (unless you have the dreaded 1980 version)... so go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

thanks for the imput guys. if it is the 10, I'll do a shaft swap..and do my twin stick while I have it out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

where do I find a 32 spline flange for the rear?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

HAD?

oh btw, when u get the 32-spline shaft from the donor case, dont forget to get the gizmo that holds the gasket around the shaft too.. the 10-spline one is a just a little narrower if I remember right, and wont fit over the 32-spline shaft.

j

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I got my 32 sline shaft and a 1350 yoke for 50 bucks, from a place called midwest truck.

11. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dr. Watson I posess one of these 10 spline flanges it is round but has the same bolt pattern as the one with the squared sides. If you would like I could send it to you with the broken greasable bushings that I am getting ready to replace. Thanks for the fast service in sending me the replacements. Now I'll be able to go wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif No hijack intended.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

so will a ford flange on the rear alow me to run the same cv shaft front and rear or do I need to swap the front to the same 32 spline ford splines and use the same flange front and back and get some ford CV shafts???

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well that's a new one, I wonder if it's not an afermarket part of some sort since it's round it's probably made from billet instead of a casting or forging, so maybe it is. I wouldn't mind taking a look at it if you want to send it in.

What to do for CV flanges is pretty much up to what CV's you want to run, so I'd start talking to the driveshaft shops about it.